Been doing that knot for braid to mono

Started by Marcq, June 24, 2018, 10:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

So easy to make and ends up being pretty small knot, my favorite knot so far

Another new one for me is the Springer knot for heavy mono

Marc..

mo65

I really like that Springer knot...I'll be trying that one. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

MarkT

I use the Improved Albright/Alberto/JC/RP knot to connect spectra to leader. I got a 298# YFT the first time I ever tied a Springer after seeing JC's video. I used it again 2 days later for a 321#. I think JC was trying to tie the Spangler but missed the tag end going through both loops. Either way it worked for me! It's very easy and small.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Marcq

Quote from: Keta on June 25, 2018, 03:32:37 AM
I like this knot.

I actually saw it on a post you did not long ago but could not remember where I saw it

It's a great knot

Marc..

boon

As soon as the mono gets doubled I tune out. The "finger-trap" style knots (PR, FG) that don't use a loop/double are inherently half the size and probably stronger.

Admittedly much more complex to tie though. If you were on a wide-open bite and got busted off I can see why you might tie a faster knot.

xjchad

The only braid to mono knot I've never had a failure with is the FG knot.  Pain to tie, but it's rock solid.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

SoCalAngler

Been using the JC knot for around 5 years now but I do 7 wraps up and down. It just makes me feel better and not worry as much when on a big fish. I use it up to 60 lb toppers after that I like other connections on my heavy line setups.

Marcq

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 26, 2018, 02:37:21 AM
Been using the JC knot for around 5 years now but I do 7 wraps up and down. It just makes me feel better and not worry as much when on a big fish. I use it up to 60 lb toppers after that I like other connections on my heavy line setups.

Saw on youtube one guy doing 10 up 3 down. I tried 7 up 7 dwn  and it looks good, long and slim. Wish I knew that knot when I was surf fishing

I find a lot of knots are over complicated, can remember the name but which one requires four arms? Or two arm and legs? I tried to do that knot but got cramped up

Marc..

Three se7ens

Quote from: xjchad on June 25, 2018, 11:28:28 PM
The only braid to mono knot I've never had a failure with is the FG knot.  Pain to tie, but it's rock solid.

The FG is my go-to for leaders to braid now.  It casts perfectly, which was a big part of why I started using it.  But its strength has been proven again and again for me.  Not a single failure of the FG, but broken plenty of leaders (even 20 lb fluoro to 15 lb braid).

I found it easiest to tie with the rod in a holder,hold the tag end of braid in your teeth, using the rod to keep tension on it.  Then just thread the leader over and under the braid to get the crossing loops.  Work both tag and main lines as you are tightening it until the knot is tidy and the braid has changed color at the knot. 

xjchad

Quote from: Three se7ens on June 26, 2018, 03:23:38 AM
Quote from: xjchad on June 25, 2018, 11:28:28 PM
The only braid to mono knot I've never had a failure with is the FG knot.  Pain to tie, but it's rock solid.

The FG is my go-to for leaders to braid now.  It casts perfectly, which was a big part of why I started using it.  But its strength has been proven again and again for me.  Not a single failure of the FG, but broken plenty of leaders (even 20 lb fluoro to 15 lb braid).

I found it easiest to tie with the rod in a holder,hold the tag end of braid in your teeth, using the rod to keep tension on it.  Then just thread the leader over and under the braid to get the crossing loops.  Work both tag and main lines as you are tightening it until the knot is tidy and the braid has changed color at the knot.  

I agree Adam. I've had the RC and others fail and suspect sometimes it's caused by going thru the guides. Never a problem with the FG though.
I tie it the same as you.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Reel Beaker

akfish

For the last two years I have been using the RP knot exclusively. It's worked on three cows without a failure. 130# fluorocarbon to 130# braid. Tied well it works. And it's simple to tie.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

bpm2000

Quote from: Reel Beaker on June 26, 2018, 01:28:28 PM
No one here used the slim beauty?

Used to until I found out about the FG knot.  Too much of a PITA to tie for what you get (FG takes a while but isn't that hard to do actually).

Keta

Quote from: boon on June 25, 2018, 11:00:58 PM
As soon as the mono gets doubled I tune out.

Usually I feel the same way but this knot is so easy to tie it is a non problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain