Fish Kill at the Bourboun Spill

Started by festus, June 24, 2018, 10:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This is the second time in KY there has been a big bourbon spill and a resulting fish kill.   ??? >:(

http://www.wlky.com/article/collapse-at-barton-1792-sends-bourbon-barrels-crashing-to-ground/21769369

conchydong

I wonder what the fish feel like that didn't die.  ??? In all seriousness, some folks spray cheap vodka into fish gills to dispatch them without puncturing them so I guess that fish are hyper sensitive to alcohol. Sad to see both sides. environmental issues and all that Bourbon wasted.

festus

Noseying around on Google Earth, it looks like a small creek.  800 fish reported dead, pics looked like mostly small fish, drum, channel cats, suckers, etc. 

Wonder how many of the locals dipped some of the water to drink?   :o

My dad grew up in Kentucky just 3 or 4 miles across the Tennessee state line.  Most of the folks I remember from up that way made their own liquor.  ::)

mo65

Quote from: festus on June 24, 2018, 11:05:16 PM
800 fish reported dead, pics looked like mostly small fish, drum, channel cats, suckers, etc. 

Hmm...bourbon soaked smoked sucker? Sounds interesting. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Or maybe sour mash infused bullhead ???

David Hall

Quote from: mo65 on June 25, 2018, 12:12:35 AM
Quote from: festus on June 24, 2018, 11:05:16 PM
800 fish reported dead, pics looked like mostly small fish, drum, channel cats, suckers, etc. 

Hmm...bourbon soaked smoked sucker? Sounds interesting. 8)

Have a friend who works at a winery and used to get me sacks of chips made from old wine casks. Gave my pork shoulder an awesome flavor.  I wonder if they let me get some salvage out of there?

Gfish

Wow! Wonder if it does somethin to their gill tissue. Tennessee and Kentucky-bourbon: best in the world.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

That's why I drink Scotch. ;) :D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

Dickel and Ginja. That's my hunt camp drank. -I like Maker's, and Jefferson Ocean is the preferred but if you pull those out in camp, people get above their raisin's and suddenly want pate instead of deviled ham....

Sardinie's, beanie weenies, viennie's...I'd eat the potted meat on a cracka too but it doesn't rhyme with rest of my pack food.

sad about the fish kill.

Reel Beaker

how would a fish marinated in alcohol taste like?

thorhammer

I have bourbon-drunk duck and it was great. I expect a white flaky fish marinated in bourbon and smoked or grilled would be good. Wine and beer marinades are standard and very good.

Salmon marinated in sherry, teriyaki and ginger then grilled is amazing.

Shark Hunter

Bardstown is 100 miles from me.
You would think it would be mandatory to have a dike built to contain any spills.
When I drank Bourbon.
Bulleit is the best there is. Above Woodford, Makers, Knob Creek and all the others as far as I'm concerned.
Never tried the High Dollar Stuff like four roses and the like.
If you are a Bourbon Drinker, You need to try it.
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 27, 2018, 05:33:26 PM
When I drank Bourbon.
Bulleit is the best there is.

Thanks for the tip Daron...I'll give that a try. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

As most anything else, homemade or "homegrown" is best.  Moonshine making was almost a lost art until Popcorn Sutton wannabees revived it here in the Tennessee mountains.   Now most every hick town here on the Cumberland Plateau with an interstate exit has a legal distillery, but I've yet to visit any of them. Better off doing it yourself.  Just a couple weeks ago a distillery was opened at the old prison site up the road about 4 miles. http://brushymtngroup.com/ I hope they do well, but it's just another tourist trap.

Believe it or not, you can now buy a moonshine still at Walmart for $97.99.  I helped a friend set one up a few years ago.  We tried a hot plate for the heat source in his garage, but couldn't get the temp suitable.  So we moved it into his kitchen where his wife watched in fascination.  His first run was a brandy of sorts with a mash from overripe peaches and Welch's white grape juice.  Good stuff.  His still came with recipes of old hillbilly moonshine recipes plus more sophisticated stuff like bourbon, sour mash, apricot brandies, etc.  However, I would not recommend this miniature distillery.  The condensor sets on top the still and it's almost impossible to get the coils cooled, you have to continually add ice. BTW, there isn't very much unpolluted water around anymore, so distilled or spring water in 5 gallon jugs from Walmart is put to good use.  ;)

Walmart also sells a copper still for about $400.  This is a nice one with thump keg.  I've never seen this particular one in operation, but know someone who owns one and have sampled the finished product. He has in the past bought old barrels from the Jack Daniels site down in Lynchburg and aged it.  But it's much easier to buy some Jim Beam or Jack Daniels charred oak chips, also available at Walmart, and soak the liquor in it.  Most old timers or die hard moonshiners probably make fun of these prefabricated stills, some of those folks are retired boilermakers and pipefitters.  Nowadays the law enforcement agencies turn their head to moonshiners unless they hear too many complaints, they have their hands full of clandestine methamphetamine laboratories, opiate peddlers, thieves, and robbers to worry about.  ::) Am I going to start distilling?  Not very likely.  Matter of fact I don't even make wine anymore.

thorhammer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 27, 2018, 05:33:26 PM
Bardstown is 100 miles from me.
You would think it would be mandatory to have a dike built to contain any spills.
When I drank Bourbon.
Bulleit is the best there is. Above Woodford, Makers, Knob Creek and all the others as far as I'm concerned.
Never tried the High Dollar Stuff like four roses and the like.

ditto. smoooooth. the only one i like better is Jefferson Ocean.