My rusty bucket

Started by Maxed Out, June 25, 2018, 04:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Our local deepwater bottom fishery is only a few days each year during late springtime. It's always been one of my favorite fisheries. We are targeting Ling cod and Halibut in depths from 400' to 750'. My reel of choice has always been 113H. We use a small variety of proven lures and bait. Norwegian jigs, large hootchies with herring or squid, and home made pipe jigs. The pipe jigs are generally used to target ling cod, but will also catch halibut. I made a bunch of pipes about 7-8 years ago and thru each season they keep getting crusty and rusty, but still catch fish. It's amazing that something so simple will catch a fish.....The last morning I pulled a pipe jig outta my bucket and stuck it on as is, old leader and all.....right away it was game on, with one huge takedown after another. Thankfully this was our 400' spot, so all the reeling wasn't so bad. In 1.5 hours I released 7 halibut (20-40#) and caught 3 nice lings and lost several big takedowns that didn't get a hookset.

Here is the pipe from my rusty bucket....yep, it really is a fish catching lure just as it is
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Here is a shot of one days catch

I had my longtime friends with me. All are railroad guys, 2 are conductors, and one a local yardmaster. All are very seasoned fishermen and fun time was had by all.

mo65

Wow...a piece of pipe with a hook on it...who'da thunk it! Great fishin' Ted! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Hardy Boy

Nice job Ted. Guys use those pipe jigs here also .................... I should go look for mine.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congrats on the great day's fishing Ted!  Catching is fun, but when you have the responsibility of running the boat and finding the fish, and it all comes together, it adds a whole dimension of glory to the whole thing.  Lots of us can turn the handle, and/or come up with some interesting tackle ideas, but you and Lou and Alan really put it all together.

xjchad

Crazy that something so simple can be so effective!
Nice Ted!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

alantani

yup, copper pipe jigs.  i don't know why they work so well, but they definitely work!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Nice!  A lot of fancy looking lures are more to catch fishermen than fish.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

lots of good eating right there amigo, congrats

I must build one of those pipes, not very often but from time to time I fish on a deep reef from 450' - 600'

The Baja Guy

swill88

Ted, how rich a mix of concrete in the pipe do you recommend?  Tints ? Dyes?  Audio? ::) 8) ;D
Steve

fordfox

Just curious TED, what is that pipe jig supposed to mimmick???

xjchad

Quote from: fordfox on June 25, 2018, 07:51:20 PM
Just curious TED, what is that pipe jig supposed to mimmick???

I think it just pisses them off when it bonks them on the head so they attack it  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

steelhead_killer

good work!  great eats!
><)))">

Maxed Out

The pipe jig is filled with lead and has similar properties of a Baghdad battery (copper and lead and saltwater). Most fish can detect milliamps that the pipe produces which can trigger a strike

Also most fish that live on bottom have lateral lines on the lower fins and can feel the thumping of the jig from a distance. There are many theories as to why a lead filled copper pipe with naked hook will catch fish.... I am just glad they do, cause I can make one for less than $8 and they can last many years of use. Canada has a 1,000 gram weight restriction, so these pipes are made certain length so they are ok for BC fishing too...approx 35 ounces