Double dogged Lefty C.C. squidder

Started by Petah, June 25, 2018, 09:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petah

Well after viewing MHC's double dog one piece dog and post for a squidder I decided to try my hand at it but with traditional dog posts. I got a small sheet of 304 stainless steel .075" thick 10"X10", some clinch on pins PEM Tps-125-6, 1/8" diam. 3/8" long,
PEM Mpp-2mm-5, 2mm diam. 5mm long and some jigmaster dog dprings. Used a hacksaw, dremel, electric hand drill and some needle files and came up with this.  Have to shave the pins down and the dog post is thinner than stock but hey, the dogs are truly custom now!!!! Doesn't look nearly as good as what you guys do but it works!!!!! Oh yeah, the pins and s.s. sheet are from McMaster's

It fits under the gear so I didn't have to mar Tom's sideplate!!!! Here's the reel.

Has Bryan's 5+1 drag stack, Tib spool and an Accurate handle from a Boss Magnum 665H. My wife says it fishes great!!!
I will believe her as I'm right handed and hate to pick up her rods!!!!

xjchad

Nice work!  I like that you squeezed it under the gear to avoid having to clearance the side plates!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

mhc

Nice work, there isn't much room under the 5-60 gear.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Petah

MHC,
       You're right, not a lot of room at all even less under a 5-155!!!! That is my first attempt and I'll be doing some more. There is a lot of room for improvement and I think the main problem is that no matter how careful or steady I am with the handheld drill, the bit always walks on me. If I used a drill press I'm sure that my holes will be where I want them on the bridge plate and my dog placement will be better. Thanks for the kind words everyone!!!

Peter

xjchad

Quote from: Petah on June 26, 2018, 03:01:49 AM
MHC,
       You're right, not a lot of room at all even less under a 5-155!!!! That is my first attempt and I'll be doing some more. There is a lot of room for improvement and I think the main problem is that no matter how careful or steady I am with the handheld drill, the bit always walks on me. If I used a drill press I'm sure that my holes will be where I want them on the bridge plate and my dog placement will be better. Thanks for the kind words everyone!!!

Peter

After marking the location of your hole, use a center punch to create a divot in that spot. It gives the drill something to locate on and you'll be a lot more accurate.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Petah

xjchad,
           I do and I step up drill bit size from 1/16 but it always seems to walk just a little off my punch mark. Trying to stay under anything other than the 5-60 or 5-155 I probably wouldn't care too much. It may very well just be me!!!!

Peter

kmstorm64

Petah,

Any chance you would want to make a second LH Squidder DD Set up?
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Petah

kmstorm64,
                 P.M.'d you.

Peter

oc1

Good job there Peter.  Drilling a hole straight and where it is supposed to be is the hardest part of messing around with reels for me too.  Part of the problem is that those small bits will flex just enough to screw it all up.
-steve

Petah

Thanks Steve!!! Not to make excuses but I am only using a small clamp-on table vise and hand tools.
When funds and space allow it, I'll upgrade. For now it's just to see if I can do it!!!!! I'm a pretty damn good mechanic
excuse me, (automotive technician) and good with my hands and you guys make it look sooo easy!!! I'm forced into retirement
(permanently dis-abled) so I have a LOT of time on my hands!!! Thanks for the support and I'll be posting more stuff!!

Peter

Alto Mare

Good job on that reel Peter, finding the correct location is always the hardest part. You've now made it easier for others to follow.
It must have been really hard on the guy that did the very first double dog on these.
Keep up your great work.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Petah

Thanks Sal! Coming from you is a great compliment! You and Mike and the others here have been a real
inspiration for me!! Now got to finish up my 3-155 Double dog bridge!!!! Man, this one is TIGHT!!!!

Peter