Duel 6/0 two-speed - standard service

Started by redsetta, August 08, 2011, 10:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

I reckon you're spot on codhead - there's no substitute for high-quality design, it's timeless.

I dismantled the Duel again tonight to have a more detailed look at the gearbox before it goes back to the owner.
If anything, it served to reinforce my respect for this design!
Here's what I found...
Here's the gearbox disassembled.
Pull out the right-hand 'idler' gear.
There's a brass washer that sits atop this gear, but usually sticks to the reel body when it separates.

Pull out the two-speed assembly (which incorporates the anti-reverse bearings).
Slide off the two gear cogs to reveal the dual anti-reverse assemblies.

The six rollers slip right out, but you'll have to remove the push-rods from each cavity.
The springs simply slide in.

I've cleaned the gear shaft well as, like all anti-reverse bearings, grease diminishes its functional efficiency.
Slip the push-rods back into each cleaned cavity and realign the rollers.

Here's the first gear and anti-reverse mechanism fully assembled.
For interest's sake, here's the separated spring and push-rod.

The spring slides down inside as mentioned earlier.
In order to get the gear on over the anti-reverse rollers, simply place the gear over the assembly, then slide each roller in afterwards.

Here's the finished two-speed and anti-reverse assembly, and inserted back into the gearbox housing.

Replace the second 'idler' gear and brass washer, and... job done.

Reattach as per the original post above.
Given the wet sump protects the gearbox from build-up and corrosion, I reckon this design this basically flawless.
It's a beautiful bit of gear and was a pleasure to work on.
Righto - all the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

locknut

Great job Justin. I have been using these reels for years and caught many Striped Marlin on them. Most guys on the boat moan and gripe whan they see them and complain about having to wind backwards to use low gear. Then a Marlin jumps on and they think its the best thing since slided cheese no buttons and fumbling around. The sticky drag syndrome seems to be their biggest shortcoming it can drive you to the drink. The newer drag washers seem to help. The old ones are a sort of cardboard substance that swells up with oil and grease ingress and you loose free spool. One thinig I note from you photos is the gearbox is not oil filled as all mine are. I use the boats power steering oil that works very well. They sure are smooth to use.

Jeremy

redsetta

Cheers Jeremy - appreciate the feedback.
They're great reels and definitely built to last.
Though I mentioned it had a wet sump, I forgot to say that I added about 20ml of good-quality engine oil (mixed with a little Inox) to the gearbox.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer