New design halibut rig

Started by gstours, June 26, 2018, 05:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

The jury of one (me) has concluded after one summer season the lighted body in the halibut rig did not add anything to the catching.   Just saying,   It did not seem to help nor hurt.   After removing it I still get bit about the same.   It was an idea 💡.   The fish didn't care.   Thanks 🙏💁‍♂️

Dominick

Thanks for the report.  So the jury is still out?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

That is not good news Gary.  What am I going to do now with 100 waterproof led lights?
I'm going with the following story, let me know what you think.

These lights are the cats meow, the crime de la creme of all fishing lure improvements.
You could eliminate the hook and still catch fish.  If there's only one thing you can add to your rig, the Led light is the one MUST HAVE item.  100 for $6.00.  Free shipping.

Maxed Out

A couple years ago a local guy put blinking LED in hoochies for salmon fishing. I didn't fall for it like others I saw lined up to buy them at local fish club meetings.

Turns out the LED was a failure for a salmon lure. I kinda figured that from day 1

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

gstours

Butt I do use a led light above the bait as always,  My friends here think its a waste of money,  and batterys.   Butt I have got some nice fish using led lights,  just not in the hoochy or octipus body.   They seem to aid in a shrimp pot as well,  butt burn out on a long soak.

Hardy Boy

I have seen mixed results with a light but I have not seen it increase catches over not fishing it (my one buddy always uses a light). I have not seen enough to make me buy a bunch.

Gary: Have you ever tried putting a large spin n glow above your rig instead of a spinner blade. I used to use them all of the time, they spin and add some buoyancy. They did catch a lot of fish for me in Prince Rupert.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

Yes , I've actually pioneered the spin n goo idea up here.   Just saying,  the spin n glob is good butt when anchored you can get more vibration from the very large spinner blades.   Silver color, white, and glow in dark are good performers.  If using big mono leader you have to make your own Clevis,s though.
   The biggest spin n glow body's are always the best for me.  A few beads above the hook or hootchy helps spin,   Also put a bead above the body so it doesn't hang up,as it floats up on the leader when letting out and down line.   I still like the light above the baitma foot and a half.   It's a cheap investment in catching a expensive value of fish.   Just saying. :o

gstours

Here's a good light for starters.  Very large, brightness very good, uses 3 aa battery 🔋 has a long life. Caught many nice fish 🎣

gstours

A few more that r ok,  fished to 200 feet.   Does it matter?🚣‍♀️

gstours

The spin glo body is good butt the wings are somewhat fragile,  replacing the broken ones is not hard,  when you get a lucky 🍀 one,  🤦‍♀️

gstours

I'm in favor of the glow color or even repainted w glow, butt my friend uses pinky and it's a proven one. 
    So you decide.    It's fun to play with the variables.🍀🐠

gstours