Mustard Demon Circle Hooks, Crimping

Started by Reel Beaker, June 26, 2018, 01:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

So guys, i bought many packs of mustard demon circle hooks recently. An observation i made was that these hooks have really small hook eyes as compared to other circle hooks. I was planning to snell some 50lb line to a 1/0 or 2/0 hook but it seem that the line is rather thick for the eye.

So if i cant snell the hook, only 2 options remain. I either will have to crimp the hook on or tie a normal knot like the clinch knot. Does snelling hooks get you more fish or is the presentation better? Most people i know prefer to snell than use a normal knot for a hook.

If i prefer to crimp the hook on, do i use a double barrel or barrel sleeve? Are round sleeves out of the question. I currently have a pair of point-cup crimper and have seen only a point-cup crimper and barrel sleeves in my local tackle shop. Is this not good for crimping barrel sleeves?

Keta

Small hooks should be tied not crimped.  I'd tie the snell on the shank without going through the eye.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

1badf350

Quote from: Keta on June 26, 2018, 01:41:24 PM
Small hooks should be tied not crimped.  I'd tie the snell on the shank without going through the eye.
^^^this^^^
What diameter is your line? Some manufacturers are different and I found Momoi Hi-Catch to be thinner than other manufacturers of the same test line.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

MarkT

I'd just use a uni, improved clinch or any other regular knot.  I don't know that snelling buys you anything with a circle hook.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

FatTuna

If they have an inline eye, you can do as Keta said, snell but don't go through the eye. If they have an offset eye (octopus hook), you really need to snell and have the line going through the eye. With an octopus, knot or a crimp will secure the hook onto the line but you'll have less consistent hookups. The purpose of a snell is to pull the shank of the hook parallel to the line. It's also a really secure connection.

If I'm live bait fishing, I personally like to use loop knots or hooks with welded rings. It gives the bait a better presentation. It allows the bait to move freely in all directions. Typically, I use snells when I'm chunking or fishing dead bait.

You should be able to snell with 50lb. Are you using mono or fluoro leader? If you are using really stiff fluorocarbon, it can be more difficult. Seaguar blue for example is really stiff. Seaguar premier would work better. If you're having issues, it might be worth experimenting with a different type of leader.  

I usually don't start crimping until I get to 80lb and up but that doesn't mean you can't do it. Crimps are used when you want the strongest possible connection or when knots/snells can't be used because the line is too thick. The trade off is it's way more visible. We use the smallest crimps for giant fishing so no need to go big. A single barrel aluminum crimp is all you need. The generic ones work just fine, you can get a huge bag cheap online. Gets some chafe tube to put around the loop. It helps to color the crimps in black with a paint pen so they don't reflect any light.

CapeFish

use a Uni knot? I use them on circle hooks no problem, still works and it's a nice and small knot

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on June 26, 2018, 01:59:30 PM
I'd just use a uni, improved clinch or any other regular knot.  I don't know that snelling buys you anything with a circle hook.

X2

I never snell hooks for the type of fishing I do and I can't see any advantage doing so on a circle hook.

FatTuna

Snelling a circle has the same benefits of snelling a J hook. You get a straight pull on the hook every time. With a knot, it can slide from side to side. It's also one of the strongest connections.

MarkT

A straight pull doesn't help set a circle hook and in fact, could hurt.  Once the hook is set in the corner a straight pull has a greater chance of rotating the hook out of position.  I want the knot to be able to swing and not pull out.  I use ringed ciricle hooks in order to help the bait swim more naturally and to rotate when the fish is hooked and fighting.  Maybe snelling helps with bluegill but not big bluefin and yellowfin.

FatTuna

I couldn't disagree more. Having a straight pull parallel to the shank insures that the circle gets pulled into the corner of the mouth better.

What you said about rotating the hook out makes sense but that has nothing to do with it setting. Snelling helps with the initial hook up, it doesn't assist in a prolonged battle. It's not for live baiting. It's not used for big game fishing. Your comparing apples and oranges. We are talking about 1/0 and 2/0 hooks. Snelling is generally used for game fish, bottom fish, and chunking cut baits. What type of connection is best depends on what you are trying to accomplish/catch.

Another major benefit of the ring is that it prevents the bait from "rehooking" itself.

You guys can argue about this all you want but I'm out. I gave my $.02. You can take it or leave it.

1badf350

I just noticed we're talking about mustard hooks. I prefer dijon over yellow.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

MarkT

Brown deli mustard for me.

I do use the ringed Mustad 4x demon circles for big tuna tied on with a san diego or springer.

CapeFish

snelling mustard is a tough call, let alone knotting it  :) Thing is though if you have a small hook you want to use a thick leader on and can't snell it properly why bother with complicated crimps and snells when a knot of your choice will just work fine. I uniknot 200-300lb coated or uncoated cable to barbless circle hooks and they set just fine. 

day0ne

Quote from: Reel Beaker on June 26, 2018, 01:36:51 PM

If i prefer to crimp the hook on, do i use a double barrel or barrel sleeve? Are round sleeves out of the question. I currently have a pair of point-cup crimper and have seen only a point-cup crimper and barrel sleeves in my local tackle shop. Is this not good for crimping barrel sleeves?

Round sleeves are for wire. Point to cup crimpers shouldn't be used on anything, IMHO. Cup to cup crimpers are the way to go. Some good reading on crimping:

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

MarkT

I thought the point to cup crimpers are for electrical connections.  My wire stripper/crimper is of that style.