Mustard Demon Circle Hooks, Crimping

Started by Reel Beaker, June 26, 2018, 01:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I've seen point to cup used on double-barreled crimps, which I would only use for multistrand wire. Only cup-to-cup swage on single sleeve crimp if I'm on mono, and I usually don't crimp until I'm using 100 lb. Uniknot for everything else, because.....it's the uniknot. My PB, 250lb  shark, was on a uniknot 80lb mono to 8/0 circle hook and I laid the wood to him with no issues. As to line of pull for snelling: I snell when have time, which is about never, so uniknot it is. That said, our fishing in NC is a bit different from the fly-lining on the left coast long range boats, and we have enough chop 99% time that baits get crushed, rather than inspected closely and hookup not much of an issue if it gets bit on a circle hook.

My .02.

day0ne

Quote from: MarkT on June 28, 2018, 02:32:39 PM
I thought the point to cup crimpers are for electrical connections.  My wire stripper/crimper is of that style.

Nope. Lots of point to cup crimpers out there but I still wouldn't use them on anything. On insulated connectors, they pierce the insulation. I used to do a lot of power crimps in my job and that type pf crimper wouldn't pass a quality inspection. On cup to cup or die type crimpers, any "wings" on the crimp would fail also. Wings are caused by using too small a die.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

MarkT

I have a couple of Nicopress crispers and an Edge World that I drilled like Alan did
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Quote from: day0ne on June 29, 2018, 04:56:19 AM
Quote from: MarkT on June 28, 2018, 02:32:39 PM
I thought the point to cup crimpers are for electrical connections.  My wire stripper/crimper is of that style.

Nope. Lots of point to cup crimpers out there but I still wouldn't use them on anything. On insulated connectors, they pierce the insulation. I used to do a lot of power crimps in my job and that type pf crimper wouldn't pass a quality inspection. On cup to cup or die type crimpers, any "wings" on the crimp would fail also. Wings are caused by using too small a die.

I try to avoid insolated connectors and use glue lined shrink tube.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain