Fish Kill at the Bourboun Spill

Started by festus, June 24, 2018, 10:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Man, you SE hill folk are some of the most serious "homemade do it yerself" innovators in the country. So many non-store bought products that have become art: Liquor, weapons, stock cars, fishing reels, quarter horses, country & bluegrass insturments/music, etc., etc.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Quote from: Gfish on June 27, 2018, 10:21:05 PM
Man, you SE hill folk are some of the most serious "homemade do it yerself" innovators in the country. So many non-store bought products that have become art: Liquor, weapons, stock cars, fishing reels, quarter horses, country & bluegrass insturments/music, etc., etc.
Yep, but it ain't like it used to be.  Restrictor plates on stock cars, country music has gone to pop, young people drinking high energy drinks and light beer,  and worst of all moonshiners buying their stills at Walmart.   ::)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TDN-15-Gallon-Copper-Moonshine-Liquor-Distillation-Unit/688704792?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=16997&adid=22222222227151538677&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=262820861025&wl4=pla-437809841732&wl5=9013366&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=120820580&wl11=online&wl12=688704792&wl13=&veh=sem

David Hall

Back in the early 1700's one of my ancestors brought distilling here from Scotland where he was licensed to make and sell whisky.  He arrived in Philadelphia around 1720 and proceeded to get hisself a license to make and sell whisky by the small, and trade with the Indians.  He and his brothers packed up and left Philly for the southwestern Virginia frontiers.  Family lore is he made his whisky on an island on the Dan river and floated the barrels down the river to the ordinaries, his older brother operated a ferry below him and the two of them also owned a tavern on the river beside the ferry.  Well the art of home brew has been in the family ever since, my direct ancestor was the youngest of these brothers and he ran the tavern, he also learned from his uncle how to brew.  He brought the art into North Carolina and taught it to his son who brought it into the dark corner of the South Carolina Appalachian upcountry in the late 1700's,  the family stayed there making whisky and farming until 1895 when my gr grandfather left for brighter prospects.  He moved to Arkansas and bought a farm.  He made a bit of shine for family and friends but that was about the extent of things, his sons became coal miners in Oklahoma until one of them was burned up died in an explosion with 12 other miners.  My grandfather quit the minin  bidness packed up his family and headed for Oregon territory where he landed work as a plumber in a auto factory.  That was the end of the family whisky making, or so it was thought.  Last month a unnamed family member dropped by to see me, he had a bottle of whisky and he wanted my opinion of.  It wasn't labeled, I tried it!  I liked it!  Looks like you can take the boy out of the country and educate him in the liberal west, but sooner or later his true nature will be revealed.  We're still a bunch of hillbillies And good shine is still good shine.

Rivverrat

Quote from: festus on June 27, 2018, 11:08:14 PM

Yep, but it ain't like it used to be.  Restrictor plates on stock cars, country music has gone to pop, young people drinking high energy drinks and light beer,  and worst of all moonshiners buying their stills at Walmart.   ::)

Now that right there is a quotable quote... Jeff

festus

Quote from: David Hall on June 27, 2018, 11:58:00 PM
Back in the early 1700's one of my ancestors brought distilling here from Scotland where he was licensed to make and sell whisky.  He arrived in Philadelphia around 1720 and proceeded to get hisself a license to make and sell whisky by the small, and trade with the Indians.  He and his brothers packed up and left Philly for the southwestern Virginia frontiers.  Family lore is he made his whisky on an island on the Dan river and floated the barrels down the river to the ordinaries, his older brother operated a ferry below him and the two of them also owned a tavern on the river beside the ferry.  Well the art of home brew has been in the family ever since, my direct ancestor was the youngest of these brothers and he ran the tavern, he also learned from his uncle how to brew.  He brought the art into North Carolina and taught it to his son who brought it into the dark corner of the South Carolina Appalachian upcountry in the late 1700's,  the family stayed there making whisky and farming until 1895 when my gr grandfather left for brighter prospects.  He moved to Arkansas and bought a farm.  He made a bit of shine for family and friends but that was about the extent of things, his sons became coal miners in Oklahoma until one of them was burned up died in an explosion with 12 other miners.  My grandfather quit the minin  bidness packed up his family and headed for Oregon territory where he landed work as a plumber in a auto factory.  That was the end of the family whisky making, or so it was thought.  Last month a unnamed family member dropped by to see me, he had a bottle of whisky and he wanted my opinion of.  It wasn't labeled, I tried it!  I liked it!  Looks like you can take the boy out of the country and educate him in the liberal west, but sooner or later his true nature will be revealed.  We're still a bunch of hillbillies And good shine is still good shine.
That's correct, the Scots brought the fine art of distilling to Kentucky and Virginia.  Of course corn was substituted for barley, and bourbon was created.  Good whiskey is made from a mash of malted grains.  Nowadays no telling what these legal moonshine distilleries use, mule feed, corn meal, cane sugar, who knows.  ???