Torque 12 Star Drag arrived today

Started by mrbrklyn, July 27, 2019, 02:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi Ruben, I have some Hylomar Aerograde PL32, gasket joint compound, it doe not dry, I brought it to seal gaskets on the fuel tank, but I was not really rapt about it for the fuel, I have used it in the thread of the caps, just stops them from turning to freely, with out it being to hard to ajust when required. good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

RowdyW

Abu Garcia reels made in Sweden. The teflon tape is not sticky, it is just to make the threads snugger. You can get it at any hardware store.           Rudy

Rivverrat

Quote from: alantani on July 29, 2019, 03:22:06 PM
ideally, zero load, zero freeplay.  

Alan I know this. I'm just trying assess this problem. Something isn't right.

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 30, 2019, 02:11:36 AM
Quote from: nelz on July 29, 2019, 04:40:18 PM
Here's a suggestion, a fix I've used on Abu's. Wrap some teflon plumber's tape on the threads enough for the cap to screw on snugly. It will keep the cap well sealed as well.  ;D

WHat is Abu's and will I be able to move it :)

Ok this is why I was asking how you have your spool tension set. How much are you moving this knob ? How much play in the spool ?   Also why do you need to move or adjustment after it's set ?  The spool tension is usually set & left alone. This a very odd & unique issue.

Cant tell for certain but the O-ring looks damaged in the pic. This can happen from over tightening. Which would also lead to the cap coming off.

The fact it has occured with other reels makes it even more so. I can say I have a lot of time both fishing & working on these reels & this is a first at least at the level your experiencing it. I have an obsessive desire to understand & fix stuff like this. So please take no offense. It's all about the reel.  Look forward to your reply to above questions... Jeff

oc1

I've seen some old primitive reels that the left side cap would work itself loose and fall off if you weren't careful.  It was because the cap was putting tension on the end of the spinning spool shaft, would vibrate during a cast or run, and the cap would move in the same direction as the spool shaft.  That's the lefty loosey direction on the tail plate.  A tensioning cap on the head plate will want to righty-tighty itself during a cast or run; the opposite of your problem.

Teflon tape will certainly fix it.  But, that's a really expensive reel and it seems like you shouldn't have to be holding it together with tape.
-steve

Captain64-200

Quote from: oc1 on July 30, 2019, 05:59:33 AM

Teflon tape will certainly fix it.  But, that's a really expensive reel and it seems like you shouldn't have to be holding it together with tape.
-steve

Maybe a drop of Loctite 241 to secure this cap  ?
Fred from Biarritz ,

Rivverrat

Ruben, I also fish a couple of my Torques most every day. These are my go to reels when a rod is fished in hand. I wholeheartedly believe this issue can be solved with out using tape, glue or any other approach of this type.

More info is needed to move in that direction. Be good to know if you adjust spool tension when fishing ?  ... Jeff 

Decker

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 27, 2019, 02:10:26 PM
So the new Penn Star Drag Torque arrived this week and I ran down to the tackle shop (shout out to Stretch at Stella Maris in Sheepshead Bay) and we loaded it up with 150 Yards of 40 pound yellow power pro braid.  I ran to the boat and tried it out on a Sea Bass and Porgy run.

What boat do you like on Sheepshead Bay?   I went out on the Marilyn Jean last year.   It is surprisingly close to the northern Philly suburbs.   The fishery is a little different from central and southern Jersey, which I fish more.

Rivverrat

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 30, 2019, 07:08:05 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on July 30, 2019, 04:49:04 PM
Ruben, I also fish a couple of my Torques most every day. These are my go to reels when a rod is fished in hand. I wholeheartedly believe this issue can be solved with out using tape, glue or any other approach of this type.

More info is needed to move in that direction. Be good to know if you adjust spool tension when fishing ?  ... Jeff 

I don't adjust it or change it... really ever.

OK I'm completely stymied... Jeff

Decker

I had a great experience a couple weeks ago on the Big Mohawk in Belmar. Very profesional and friendly crew and we managed to nail some big fluke.