alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial The Saga of the yellow cap
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 23, 2018, 04:37:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Saga of the yellow cap  (Read 1211 times)
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« on: June 30, 2018, 08:02:55 AM »

I wish there was something to be done about the Yellow caps on the spool adjuster to prevent them from coming off.  They seem to always get lost.  I always thought it was someone elses mismanagement until it happened to me.  I need to send two reels in for this and maintenance. 

Penn
Webmaster

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 04:54:35 AM »

I am sorry I am not sure what you are referring to with "yellow cap".  Which reel is giving you trouble?

tony
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »

Torques and fathoms.  The caps for the spindle adjuster.

Penn
Webmaster

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:18:44 AM »

There is a little spring inside the cap (26D), overtime the ears compress and will result in less tension being applied.  To fix this just bend the ears out slightly more to give for more resistance.  Also the O-ring (120) helps the cap from backing out but like most rubber parts needs to be replaced occasionally.

tony

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:45:42 AM by mizmo67 » Logged
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 05:53:31 PM »

The biggest problem is the caps themselves pop off and you just look down while fishing and the gold cap is gone.  I've had this happen afew time.  I also lost the lever to the paw mechanims on a torque 12.

I packed them up and sent them in for service yesterday.  I also put in a note to change the versa gear for 5:1 or whatever is supported.  Penn has been excellent with service.  I hope they can be sent back before the season is finished.

mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 05:45:58 PM »

So everything came back today, the Torque 12 and the Torque 30.  Excellent service from Penn as usual.  They didn't have the versa gears to drop the ratio on them available, which was a bit of a bummer.  I felt I really need to drop the ratio of these reels.  It actually brings to me a question as to why these are not available, especially the smaller sized reels, in a 2:1 ratio.  It comes in the dual speeds.  For the small reels, 12,15,25,30's, these reels are really just too fast for most fishing I see.  It is not even an issue of power.  Even a stripper will just rip off the hook with a 6:1 ratio spin.

RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 06:04:19 PM »

It's not a matter of ratio that will rip a hook out, it is a matter of lowering the drag to have a little less tension on the line & less shock to the fish.      Rudy
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 06:42:58 PM »

You can only work the drag so far.  If you bring the fish in like a rocket, it will go off the hook regardless of the drag setting.

Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 09:02:49 PM »

It's not a matter of ratio that will rip a hook out, it is a matter of lowering the drag to have a little less tension on the line & less shock to the fish.      Rudy
I agree!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 09:24:41 PM »

Fish for porgies with a Newell 540 in 3.2:1 and Fathom and see which will drop more fish.  I have an idea what the answer would be, but you might think differently.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:25:31 PM by mrbrklyn » Logged

RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »

Did you ever think about turning the handle slower to acheive the same result?  Tongue I'm sure those heavy, hard fighting porgies don't need the winching power of a low gear ratio reel. Maybe you need to spend less money & get a Penn 113 4/0 with a 2.0:1 ratio.
Swami805

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 06:21:33 AM »

The fish spin if you bring them up fast from deep,slow and steady wins the game. Pumping the rod has the same effect,just turn the handle.
The local party boat here fishes 200-360' every day and the deck hands swear by fishing mono instead of braid thinking the stretch in the line absorbs the shock better resulting in the fish staying on the hook. Hard to argue with guys who do it every day. That's just for fishing bait, with jigs braid gets the nod so you can shake the jig loose from the rocks when you get hung up.
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 07:26:15 PM »

The fish spin if you bring them up fast from deep,slow and steady wins the game. Pumping the rod has the same effect,just turn the handle.
The local party boat here fishes 200-360' every day and the deck hands swear by fishing mono instead of braid thinking the stretch in the line absorbs the shock better resulting in the fish staying on the hook. Hard to argue with guys who do it every day. That's just for fishing bait, with jigs braid gets the nod so you can shake the jig loose from the rocks when you get hung up.

Interesting because when I fished out of Marina Del Rey in the water depth, fishing for sanddaps, I was high hook by a large amount fishing with 60 braid and 20 topshot.  It annoyed the boat to no end.

The guys that run the boats like mono for two reasons:

1) They are used to it and it is on the boat and it is cheap
2) It makes for less tangles and tangles that are easier to take apart.

Location matters not... Mates always want mono - heavey mono if they can.

And, my experience is that the deeper the water is, the better the advantage of braid.

I'm not sure how we got into this conversation.

mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 07:32:52 PM »

Did you ever think about turning the handle slower to acheive the same result?  Tongue I'm sure those heavy, hard fighting porgies don't need the winching power of a low gear ratio reel. Maybe you need to spend less money & get a Penn 113 4/0 with a 2.0:1 ratio.

There are those that make that argument.  I don't fish the expensive reels for the ratio of the return, but for the superior drag, durability and much better spin rate on the spool. 

RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 08:04:33 PM »

Take a 113h for instance it has equal or more drag & more then double with a little bit of modifacation, more durability, and drops a hunk of lead just as well as more expensive reels. Spin rate, are you surface casting plugs for Porgies? I would fish for them straight down. That's what this forum is all about, how to work on your reels to make them better then original & better then high priced reels. It's also enjoyable. Try it there is much more satisfaction in doing it yourself then just paying someone to do it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: