Big Bodacious Beef Ribs

Started by ChileRelleno, June 30, 2018, 05:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Yesterday I hit up one of our small local meat markets, Southern Alabama Custom Meats.
I'd called looking for IMPS #130 Beef chuck, short ribs, and he had them.
I went in and he had two individually wrapped racks frozen, I asked him if he had any more not frozen and still cryo vac'd.
He did, a four pack, I originally only wanted three but he knocked a dollar off per pound if I took all four...  SOLD!

I also picked up a nice rabbit, yeah just one, just my younger son and I will eat it.
Probably cook it up for Sunday dinner, smoked, herb stuffed and bacon wrapped.

Anyways, lets get this cook rolling.

Menu
Hickory Smoked Beef Ribs, basted with a sauce of Black Bean, Lime and Garlic
Grilled Maple Sweet Potatoes
Southwestern Avocado Salad

The Ribs
Four racks of IMPS #130 rubbed with SPOG, paprika and Cajun spice
Wrapped in the fridge overnight, then taken out and allowed to come to room temp
Smoker set to run between 275°-300° with hickory for smoke and a water pan
Plan is to cook these with no crutch/braise and baste a few times towards the end

More to Come as the Cook Progresses

Southwestern Avocado Salad

The ingredients remain pretty much the same as always, but no two batches are ever the same.

Coming Soon

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

Can't wait for the money shot!
I love me some good beef ribs.

ChileRelleno

Yes'sir, cooking along at 280° right, 3 hours in and just got to first baste with my dinner date

Smoke Vault is a Smokin

And the ribs are looking so fine

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

Dominick

John you are to young for using the word bodacious, but those ribs do look bodacious.  wow!  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dominick on June 30, 2018, 08:49:31 PM
John you are to young for using the word bodacious, but those ribs do look bodacious.  wow!  Dominick
I'm not exactly all that young  ::)
But I'll tell ya something, these ribs are golden.
Ragnar Benson:

swill88

Quote from: ChileRelleno on June 30, 2018, 10:44:37 PM
Quote from: Dominick on June 30, 2018, 08:49:31 PM
John you are to young for using the word bodacious, but those ribs do look bodacious.  wow!  Dominick
I'm not exactly all that young  ::)
But I'll tell ya something, these ribs are golden.

Well young man... any suggestions for preparing this golden bodacious beef ribs recipe in the Weber charcoal bbq?

You've inspired me yet again!

ChileRelleno

Chop sweet potatoes into wedges, place on grilling tray, brush with butter and spice with cayenne or Cajun seasoning
Place on grill over med high-high heat and grill till just tender
Brush with Maple glaze and finish

1/4C Maple syrup
1/8C brown sugar
2T butter
1t cinnamon
heat in microwave and mix thoroughly

Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: swill88 on June 30, 2018, 10:51:46 PM

Well young man... any suggestions for preparing this golden bodacious beef ribs recipe in the Weber charcoal bbq?

What kind of Weber charcoal grill, Kettle, Summit, Smokey Mtn or Ranch?

Plate or Chuck short ribs, rubbed with your favorite spices.
Indirect heat via baskets or minion method, average 275°-300° temp, oak, hickory or mesquite for smoke.
5-8 hour cook time depending on thickness, fat content and etc.
Aiming for an IT of 190°-205° or they probe butter tender, whichever comes first.
Ragnar Benson:

swill88

Quote from: ChileRelleno on June 30, 2018, 11:31:01 PM
Quote from: swill88 on June 30, 2018, 10:51:46 PM

What kind of Weber charcoal grill, Kettle, Summit, Smokey Mtn or Ranch?

Plate or Chuck short ribs, rubbed with your favorite spices.
Indirect heat via baskets or minion method, average 275°-300° temp, oak, hickory or mesquite for smoke.
5-8 hour cook time depending on thickness, fat content and etc.
Aiming for an IT of 190°-205° or they probe butter tender, whichever comes first.

It's a kettle. I'll follow your lead with lower temp, indirect heat, hardwood smoke and slooow cooking. A little rusty but I'll do my best on the 4th. Might have to try a test run tomorrow. ;D
Off to Brentwood Fine Meats in the morning.  Thanks again.
Steve

ChileRelleno

How old do you guys think I am?

Ragnar Benson:

theswimmer

If I was going off the meat smile I would say about 17.........

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

swill88

David Hall