Suffix 832

Started by Rivverrat, July 01, 2018, 04:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

As stated in another thread a friend gave me a 80 lb. 300 yard spool of this  . I've never used it before. So I spooled my Torque 25 with it.   After some not to serious testing & while this seems to ba an acceptable braid I see nothing that sets this braid apart or causes it to stand out from any other.

I'm hoping some one here will dissagree with my preliminary thoughts & can clearly state why. Or better yet maybe the makers or rep. of this product could give opposing reason & fact. Valid dissagreement brings reasonable thought  based on facts, not feelings & hype.  

It did seem to be of a smaller diameter than standard Power Pro of the same rating. Any way I'll make use of it for the rest of this season on this reel & report back at the end of it. Since I'm using this reel for distance I'm using a short leader of varying lengths. Never longer than 10'. So this braid will be getting wet & making contact with structure.

Right now as a general rule lines, regardless of braid, mono etc.gain strength & abrasion resistance with larger diameter. The new line that acheives better performance in these two areas, while very clearly breaking this rule will be the new benchmark.

Later I want to give PP Maxcuatro a try. Wondering if I can gain any noticable casting distance with it... Jeff  

Three se7ens

I used it for a season a few years back.  I found it frayed really easily, and I was having to cut off the last 6' or so of line after every trip.  The strength isnt all that great for its diameter either.  80 lb is what I was using as well.

Rivverrat

My very unscientific findings agree with you. Seems these fellas found some of the same... Jeff

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewsufix832braidpg2.html

Rivverrat

As a side note FYI.... Any time I see the use of any Gore produced material, it lights up my radar screen. I have to ask the question does it's use really improve & do what it claims ? In most cases I've found it does not... Jeff

Cor

I use the stuff on my current spinning tackle#,  50lb 832 mainline and about 40mt 80lb topshot, topshot 832 or sometimes Powerpro.  
#I use a conventional level winder to cast and retrieve irons and surface plugs and not what is commonly referred to as a spinning reel.

I switched from 50 mono about 3 years ago and have virtually no experience of other braids prior to that and am not able to compare different braids with the 832.

Some observations:-
* the 80 lb 832 is smoother then 80 lb Powerpro.
* during the 3 years I've used 832 I've had it break on me less then 7 times I estimate, but that is also the reason why I
  use 80lb which is actually over the top but provides a nice safety margin.
* It is pretty durable, I replace the topshot after about 3 month and the mainline after 6 months.
* Both lines get quite wooly (or furry) after a while which effects wind resistance and casting.    Many years ago I
 experimented with braid a little and found this also happened to Jerry Brown 80 lb hollow and another brand that I can not
 remember.
* Mono is slightly superior for casting a conventional reel, but I use braid because of its strength and durability and on a
  level winder with good cast control braid can work.   I could never use 80 lb mono on my reels.
* With most braids the thick stuff they put on it that gives it some body and the colour wears of quickly, which makes the braid very limp
  and more difficult to cast.
Cornelis

FatTuna

I haven't fished 832 yet but I got two free 300 yard boxes of 30lb. Was thinking about spooling up a surf reel with it but maybe I'll just sell it.

I haven't discovered a line that really does it all.

The only braid I've used that really doesn't fray around structure is Fireline. It casts horribly though and it's really thick. I usually just use mono around rough structure.

I use 20lb, 8 strand J braid on all my light tackle inshore spinning reels. It's cheap and really strong. Casts really well. The heavier J braid starts to get thick though. I spooled up a surf reel with 40lb and ended up removing it. I also spooled up a Torsa 16 with 65lb and didn't care for it.

I use 80lb Daiwa boat braid for all my bottom fishing setups. It's really thin, the 80lb is almost the same diameter as 65lb Powerpro. Haven't had any issues with breakoffs yet. I like using metered so I can count out my depth.

If I want maximum distance, I go with Powerpro Super Slick or Diamond braid. Both are very similar. Very soft and limp. Thin too. Downside is it will break instantly if it touches anything. It's a good choice if you are surf fishing on sandy beaches or are throwing lures in open water.

Jerry brown is the best in my opinion but it costs a lot.

I've fished a lot of regular powerpro over the years. Not a bad product but I stopped buying it. There are better options.

I've experimented with some el cheapo brands. Kastking, Hi-seas, etc. Even though they are cheap, I still think it's bad value. The only thing I think that makes sense is using it for bait rods.

These days I only buy my braid in large spools. It's so much easier than estimating how much will fit on a reel. Nothing more annoying than spooling up a reel only to find the line specs listed were a lie. I don't like having left over line on a filler spool. I have yet to find a good purpose for 50 yards of left over line. Buying in bulk is usually a lot cheaper too.

I just bought two new Penn Clash 6000s, I'm tempted to try something new but will probably end up going with 65lb super slick 8.

Three se7ens

I've tried a number of different brands, and have settled on two. For 30 lb and under, it's powerpro super 8. For over 30 lbs it's daiwa saltiga boat braid. Mostly 55 lb, but a few with 80 as well.

boon

It's quite thin and slices the hell outta my fingers when I tie tight knots with it.
Agree that it frays easily. But one of my friends has been thrashing a few reels of it for a couple of years now and it's still going strong.

Rivverrat

To be honest I'm not aware of any one braid of equal diameter that is proven to be better than another.

The PP Macuatro interest me with its smaller diameter hopefully giving me a little more distance when needed... Jeff

Gobi King

I love this for my trolling and jigging setups, the small diameter is very useful in the strong currents when I jig and getting that lure deep on a 40/50 braid.

And the breaking strength, as you found it is way higher than the advertised #s.

I have leadcore in 832, the diameter is thinner on that too.
Only downside is the price.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan