Spooling Braid No Line Winder

Started by Rivverrat, July 01, 2018, 05:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Dont have a line winder for spooling your braid ?  Tackle shop closed ? This method does a passable job of this & is brain dead simple.

Here I start with the method I use for tying braid to spool. I'll expain more later. 

Rivverrat

Most have plates of weights some where.

Rivverrat

....&  start cranking. Using this method can reveal' in a dramatic way, the weakest link in your equipment. Being you & possibly your level of fitness  ;D ... Jeff

Rivverrat

OK back to this.

Start by wrapping braid three times around arbor. Finishing with a non slipping knot tha cinches down tight leaving a long tag end.
You will  wind over the tag end pinching it in place against the arbor with successive wraps as you wind on the braid under pressure.

Please dont be a Hard Head replying here this wont work when you've never tried it. There are obvious benefits to this vs using tape.

Been doing this for a few years "NEVER" had braid slip when I first tested it or fishing this method  using more than 25 lbs. of drag

Now if you have given this an honest shot, it didnt work... well by all means please make mention of it & lets look into it... Jeff

conchydong

I have also used the "Jerry Brown" method for years when winding braid onto the spool with 100% positive results. No tape and a long tag with some wraps over it.

Scott

Rivverrat

Yup, as best I can tell Jerry Brown is the first of any noteriety that put this method forward... Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

Yup - That's what I have been using for a few years, never had it slip :)

Gfish

Nice, with the dumbell weights. I been wearin out the drag washers on my 114HLW( mounted on a beater rod, then clamped to the table) and you still gotta first wind it onto the 114 with that slow gear ratio...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

Greg, youve got the bench mark braid spooler.

Do you just have a shop spool the 114 ?

If not how do spool the braid on it tight ?

Gfish

Just squeeze the line from the spool and get maybe 2lbs. winding pressure onto the HLW. Then I can set the drag on it to bout 4-7lbs. works pretty good, usually no binding.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

Thanks for the explanation.

That would work well for lighter lines. But spooling 60 - 80
I like to have the same or close to the same resistance as ny drag setting.

In most cases 10 - 15 lbs. seems to work. Ive found higher packs more line... Jeff

steelfish

cool idea Jeff

I will do it next time Im spooling a reel with new line

my current method is to spool the new line into a sealine 900h (which is huge), put the sealine reel in on a beater rod add some drag with the star, secure the rod on a patio metal tube/fence and then spool it on the desigated reel mounted on a rod and cranking as fighting a fish  ;D ;D .. too much work but it works good packing the line tight, its like playing a Nintendo game in 3D  ;D ;D :D

The Baja Guy

Gobi King

Will this work for smooth spools too?
I mean leave an inch or so tag and wind over that?

I have been putting waterproof tape on first on smooth spools.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

handi2

Yes it will work with smooth spools. It has to be wound on tight when crossing over the tag end. I started doing it this way about one year ago. I have it tied like this on my Tiagra's and they dont slip.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Glad to see some folks here using this method of tying braid to the arbor of the spool.

Ive had more people give the " Your Crazy " look after explaining it.

The thing I am most perplexed by is those who wont "EVER"  try it. Because they just know it wont work... Jeff