Penn Mag Tuned 10 testing

Started by JRD, July 02, 2018, 04:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I don't want to hi Jack Chad's thread so here is a new one.

The goal is to build a great casting inshore level wind that can handle SoCals inshore, maintain level wind features and not grenade.

Chad's mod to a 30-49 seat, Bryan's 5 stack, Cortez sleeve filed to accept Alan Ts under gear washers set, Lee's stainless dog, Alan C's knob and Adams titanium handle blade.  Stock bearings lubed with TSI

Spooled with generic 40lb spectra with a 3 foot 30lb flouro top shot.  Mounted on a Phenix Abyss PSX806 and throwing a 1/2 ounce Waxwing I was consistently getting 50-60 yards measured at 19 inches per crank from 2/3 to full spool.  It was giving my Tranx 300 a serious run and was a tad easier to control.

JRD

Testing to destruction was planned today.  We went looking for Yellow Tail.  Instead first up we're brown Rock fish up to 2 pounds - no stress at all.

Then spawning Calico bass to 5 pounds, of course the bigger bass were camera shy.  The reel didnt even blink on these hard pulling fish.

Then the final for today was a thresher that just spanked me.  It was in front of and around the boat before we could motor out of the way.  I was fishing 12 pounds of drag and this guy melted 1/2 a spool off like it was nothing before biting through the leader.  We only saw a portion of the tail so guessing at 50-80 pounds.

No hiccups and very pleased with the old school cast control which was more user friendly and effective than the newest Shimano.  The quest will continue next week for something this reel can't catch with the stock level wind.

mo65

Bravo! I'm not a bit surprised by the reels performance. Penn levelwind mechanisms are much stronger than popular belief allows them. Can't wait to see what finally blows 'er up! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Glad to see it's working so well Randy!
Nice fish, and that thresher must have been fun!  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

JRD

Quote from: mo65 on July 02, 2018, 01:32:46 PM
  Bravo! I'm not a bit surprised by the reels performance. Penn levelwind mechanisms are much stronger than popular belief allows them. Can't wait to see what finally blows 'er up! 8)

Yessir, the casting was always excellent.  The reel seat gives me confidence and the ability to mount onto a jig stick.  Landing that thresher would have put an end to the argument for me.  But I am committed to see if the LW fails.

oc1

My guess is if the levelwind fails it will not be a fatal error that locks up the whole reel.  The idler is plastic as a safety precaution to keep someone from loosing a finger tip.  It doesn't take much to make the worm and pawl wear out prematurely and start to click and catch.  But, the adventure would be well worth the price of a few replacement parts.
-steve

JRD

Quote from: oc1 on July 03, 2018, 08:45:01 AMwell worth the price of a few replacement parts.
-steve

You have that right Steve.  I honestly think I'm going to see just failures from normal wear and tear, like the pawl or worm ends wearing from repeated long casts. 

JRD

Test outing 2 was uneventful.  Probably 70 casts with the Waxwing or live bait resulted in bass of the 1lb class.  No big fish.  Before trip 3 today I felt a little looseness and had to tighten the side plate screws just a nudge.  Today was more bass, the YT did not show.  A hundred or more long casts with live bait for 20ish bass to two pounds.  One observation is that the TSI on the levelwind and in the bushings didn't last past two outings and after fish rinse with fresh water.  The first 10 casts we're measurably shorter than normal.  A drop on the worm and each bushing and it was back to crazy good casting.  I didn't even pull the Tranx out of the rack today since the Mag 10 is still working great.  Someday Mr Yellowtail will show for the real test.

mo65

Quote from: JRD on July 16, 2018, 09:08:04 PM
One observation is that the TSI on the levelwind and in the bushings didn't last past two outings and after fish rinse with fresh water.  The first 10 casts we're measurably shorter than normal.  A drop on the worm and each bushing and it was back to crazy good casting. 

I'm getting the same results with my Mag 10. I noticed after rinsing the reel the worm was dry...BUT...clean. Any type of lube that sticks to the worm well is also going to hold dirt well. I can't wait 'til Mr. Yellowtail takes that reel for a spin! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Great to hear Randy!
I received the second Mag 10 I found (also an early model without the AR switch  ;D ) and it is in beautiful shape!
I slapped it on my 9' Fenwick and tried it out on Wednesday night.  No fish caught, but I was amazed at how great it casts!
Can't wait to start on that project!

handi2

You are a master caster using only 1/2oz lures. That's amazing from this old reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JRD

Quote from: handi2 on July 16, 2018, 10:05:07 PM
You are a master caster using only 1/2oz lures. That's amazing from this old reel.

I am not that good.  My Conquests and TE GTs out cast my abilities regularly.  For some reason that factory mag on the bridge and the 8 foot Phenix jig stick just make it easy when you can load the rod up with such a light lure.  Here is the 1/2 ounce shimano waxing.  It requires little wind to really move it around in the air.

It's also fun when the deckies and captain come down to see the "newest" reel and find out it's almost 40 years old.

JRD

Quote from: xjchad on July 16, 2018, 09:26:49 PM
Great to hear Randy!
I received the second Mag 10 I found (also an early model without the AR switch  ;D ) and it is in beautiful shape!
I slapped it on my 9' Fenwick and tried it out on Wednesday night.  No fish caught, but I was amazed at how great it casts!
Can't wait to start on that project!

I'm not as adventurous as you are.  Tuned and modded is enough for me, I don't have the skills to re-engineer  li,e you guys but I enjoy watching.  A charter in the same area took a 60lb white sea bass, that would have been good test but just not in the cards.  We also saw a free swimming mako but could not get him interested in the waxwing

JRD

Well I could not wait after two hard fishings I wanted to see what was going on inside this reel.  I have to say that I'm surprised by the results.

1.  The level wind assembly looks new, with no extreme wear.  The worm is wearing into the bushings but that's normal and the pawl shows a little wear.  The worm tracks are not worn  The line guide looks new and the drive gears show no wear.

2.  The surprise.  The stainless gear sleeve has picked up some scoring from the top eared washer and the top keyed washer is worn from making contact with the bellville washer.

Not the outcome I was expecting.

xjchad

Wow Randy, this is great news!
Those parts look great!
I'm going to keep looking for more of these reels  :D