Erskine epoxy

Started by Donnyboat, July 03, 2018, 07:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi every one hope your all catching fish, when not working on your gear, my problem is, I have some second hand, erskine epoxy, the clear bottle is set quite firm, is it possible to stand it in warm water to thin it, and if so, would it still work, okay after thawing, also do you mix it at a one to one ratio with the hardener, cheers & thanks Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

The bottles are the same size so probably 1:1 Donny.  But, I doubt you can soften it up.  Resins can cure without hardener or catalyst if given enough time.

droppedit

The old Afcote finish was like that and yes some hot water would soften it up. Depending on what your doing with it, I'd try a small test run first. If it is a large project (butt wrap or more than a small guide) do yourself a favor and get some new finish. That would be safer.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Swami805

Warm water, let it sit in the sun for awhile, a few seconds in the microwave any of those should work. I had Flexcoat do that before, it was fine. Try some first and see but you should be ok.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Donnyboat

Thank Steve,Dave & Sheridan for your fast reply, yes I think a small trial would be best, not confident about using the microwave, I know with the flexi coat, they say not to over heat it, I brought a large parcel of gear last week, still a mile in front if I cant restore this, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat