Cozzone 200-yd surf reel

Started by sdlehr, July 05, 2018, 02:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Picked up a beater Cozzone 200-yd surf reel while at the ORCA National Convention in Harper's Ferry, where I also gave a presentation on Restoration. Spent a few hours making her happy this afternoon. Other than being made in Newark, NJ in the early 1900's I know nothing about it.

Before

After

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Hi Sid, that's a beautiful retoration. I'm sure she's a happy gal now.        Rudy

sdlehr

Rudy! You're baaaack! Nice to see you here. And thanks.
Sid Lehr

Shark Hunter

Wow Sid,
That is some fine work.
I have a 16/0 coming my way that looks a lot like your Before Cozzone.
PM me some tips to make it look like yours.
Life is Good!

Swami805

Doesn't even look like the same reel. I would have looked at it thinking it was too far gone, I think the secret is being able to tell what's underneath the smutz as well as being a restoration expert. Beautiful reel. Amazing job on that one Sid.
Good to see you Rudy!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

Cool reel and beautiful restoration Sid.  If you get bored you could grace us with the salient points in your presentation.
-steve

Alto Mare

Nice job Sid, I love the before and after pics.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cor

What a great job, I would not have believed it's the same reel.
Cornelis

conchydong

mhc

Nice work Sid - I had trouble working out which parts were metal in the 'before' photos.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Geez Louise...is that the same reel? Excellent work Sid! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Brilliant job as usual Sid. Is the eight leafed part under the tailplate bushing cap a sprung part?  It is reminiscent of an Ocean city part.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

sdlehr

Quote from: basto on July 05, 2018, 10:29:14 PM
Brilliant job as usual Sid. Is the eight leafed part under the tailplate bushing cap a sprung part?  It is reminiscent of an Ocean city part.
Greg
Yes, I've seen these on Julius vom Hofe reels as well. The bearings are "adjustable", but when screwed in all the way there is still a few thousands of an inch end play in the spool, so maybe they used to be more adjustable before things became worn....

Thanks for the kudos, guys. I'm having fun doing these restorations.

Quote from: oc1 on July 05, 2018, 07:45:17 AM
Cool reel and beautiful restoration Sid.  If you get bored you could grace us with the salient points in your presentation.
-steve
Steve, what I did was present that '38 Sea Ford restoration I did and posted here a few years back. I never went back to do anything with the photos after Photobucket took them hostage, but there are a few Chrome add-ons that circumvent the Photobucket blocks and allow viewing of the photos, so I never took the time to change things. It's still here somewhere.

Sid
Sid Lehr

broadway

Nice restoration, Sid.  Those german silver parts sure come back to life, and those rubber plates just need some love (and elbow grease) and voila!
Keep up the good work,
Dom

swill88

Great work Sid... thanks.
Steve