Spooling a spinner with braid

Started by RowdyW, July 06, 2018, 12:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

day0ne

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 06, 2018, 11:10:42 PM
Yeh! Lots of line maybe. But the twist thing don't float my boat. Wind it on with the reel ;) If you need more line get a bigger reel ???

Winding with just the spool doesn't twist the line. That's why it's done that way. Winding with the reel puts twist in the line.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Tiddlerbasher

Winding line with the reel (i.e. normal use) will twist the line. However when you  cast the line will untwist. Machine winding directly to the spool will give you a nice compact spool of line with no twists. However, as soon as you cast the line will twist. I would rather have a straight line in/on the water.
Also after the initial cast you are back to square one - spooling by using the reel - you haven't gained much :-\

Gfish

Sounds like you could machine wind it, then pull off bout 100yds. or more, and hand/reel rewind it back to get things right?
Funnin ya about finesse/flyfishin Rudy. Most a us have probably started out spinfishin. Lookin forward to your posts with the encyclopedic Penn conventional knowledge, which I haven't seen inna while...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Quote from: Gfish on July 07, 2018, 03:20:20 PM
Sounds like you could machine wind it, then pull off bout 100yds. or more, and hand/reel rewind it back to get things right?

if you did that w/ open bail, I'd guess a zero-sum gain...

i.e., you'd introduce, then remove the same amount of twist

Tiddlerbasher

If the bail is open how do you wind in line -or am I missing something :-\

RowdyW

It seems to me that when you are retrieving line without any strain on it that some of the twist is going to come out of it either way. Even with a fish on (you should have a swivel on the line) the swivel should naturally relieve some of the twist. I think that to get a real bad twist in the line is to fight a fish with a slipping drag & trying to wind against it. That will really put a knot in your shorts. :D

handi2

Quote from: RowdyW on July 06, 2018, 11:33:08 PM
I think I've got the biggest. It's the biggest Penn.  ;D 80#=580yds

Yea try to walk off that much line and reel it back on. That's crazy ???

I have a line spooler and a line holder. I dont use the machine for spinning reels. The reel puts the line on the spool as it will be after you are using it.

10lbs is way too much pressure for that reel and your fingers aren't enough. And yes I have a few spinners with 80lb braid on them. If you dont have anything to hold the line get help from someone that can run the line thru a towel while you wind it on. Lay the line in the towel then fold the towel and lay the line in again. It will work fine.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

Quote from: RowdyW on July 07, 2018, 11:40:03 PM
It seems to me that when you are retrieving line without any strain on it that some of the twist is going to come out of it either way. Even with a fish on (you should have a swivel on the line) the swivel should naturally relieve some of the twist. I think that to get a real bad twist in the line is to fight a fish with a slipping drag & trying to wind against it. That will really put a knot in your shorts. :D

that's bad additional twist, on top of normal twist constantly added/removed with every cast/retrieve through normal function

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 07, 2018, 11:24:06 PM
If the bail is open how do you wind in line -or am I missing something :-\

not, wind...  "pull off bout 100yds. or more" w/ bail open, thereby introducing normal twist to a spool filled by machine/drill; then wind back on normally, removing whatever twist was introduced...  nothing accomplished

Reel 224

Look guys, for one thing braid doesn't have the memory that mono has. And secondly most memory comes from the spool. I haven't had the twisting problem with my line at any time 60yrs of fishing spinning reels in fresh or salt water. The best way to treat line on ANY reel is to WET IT! So stop guessing what the right spooling is or drag.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

I've got a 115 reel mounted on a 4 ft. board with a holder for a supply spool in the middle that I can use to put my 1000 yd. supply spool on & wind the whole spool of line onto the 115. The other end of the board has a reel mount on it so I can mount my spinner on. Then I should be able to use the spinning reel againt the 115 drag to put the amount of tension I think is adequit onto the spinner. Then what ever line is left over I can rewind onto the supply spool with my homemade arbor (threaded rod) & battery powered drill.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

day0ne

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 07, 2018, 08:27:11 AM
Winding line with the reel (i.e. normal use) will twist the line. However when you  cast the line will untwist. Machine winding directly to the spool will give you a nice compact spool of line with no twists. However, as soon as you cast the line will twist. I would rather have a straight line in/on the water.
Also after the initial cast you are back to square one - spooling by using the reel - you haven't gained much :-\

They use a process that, I believe introduces a reverse twist to overcome this. From the website:

"and exclusive Streamline process for elimination of braided line twist."

I've had several reel done this way and am very happy with the results, especially compared with using the reel and a line winder.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

handi2

Ive never had a braided line twist. Never...

No matter how the line was put on.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

Quote from: handi2 on July 08, 2018, 10:32:01 PM
Ive never had a braided line twist. Never...

No matter how the line was put on.

I have to agree, and most advice about line twist is a matter of can you top this. ;) ;D

Joe

PS Further more if you change line at least twice a season specially with mono you can avoid line memory. 

swill88