Spooling a spinner with braid

Started by RowdyW, July 06, 2018, 12:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

you can't have a consensus... there are too many variables:

• whole bunch of different oscillation mechanisms, ranging from braid-friendly to grossly inadequate
  • braid cross-section shape & diameter relative to reel-size, matters to some extent
  • when someone simply says "twist", good luck trying to figure out if they mean
    normal twist, which is added & removed by the normal function of a spinning reel; OR
    additional twist introduced by reeling against the drag; certain types of lures like in-line (aka, French) spinners; trolling unbalanced baits/lures; etc...  which eventually leads to -->
    really BAD twist, to the point that the line's functionality is significantly impaired
    (BTW, braid twists same as mono, it just takes MUCH more twist to reach the "unusable zone")

Gfish

Yeah. Several times while trolling, cause of unbalenced bait/lures and swivel failure,  I 've had braid twist to the  point where I couldn't use the 1st 20ft a line.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tiddlerbasher

I generally have had more obvious twist with mono, not so obvious with braid. As has been said there are a lot of variables at play here.

handi2

Just catch a big fish and the twist's will be gone ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Quote from: swill88 on July 08, 2018, 11:26:39 PM
So what is the consensus?
My consensus.
This Cabo 120 was supposed to hold 400 yards of 100 lb braid.
I spooled it by hand with gloves on and a another glove wrapped around the braid on top of the 3' bottom section of an older two piece rod.
If my meter is right, I got 460 yards on there.
I spool all my reels by hand, and I think this one is done right.
This reel was serviced and spooled my myself, and I feel very confident fishing it,
Daron
Life is Good!