The Heddon 499

Started by mo65, July 07, 2018, 12:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Thanks Mo, so the lever disengages the level wind and moves the line guide forward, does it take the reel out of gear too? I don't see a freespool lever anywhere but it looks like the handle might pull out for free spool.
Very clever design, have you ever fished with it?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: Swami805 on July 08, 2018, 02:22:30 PM
Thanks Mo, so the lever disengages the level wind and moves the line guide forward, does it take the reel out of gear too? I don't see a freespool lever anywhere but it looks like the handle might pull out for free spool.
Very clever design, have you ever fished with it?

Yes, that lever puts it into freespool also. I haven't fished this design yet...it's one of many baitcasters in line to get wet...just ain't enough hours in the day it seems.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Pretty cool that Heddon/Victoty. But, I've godda 80's inshore saltwater Ambassadeur bait caster that may well "one up" that'un for serious free spool. It was a common series in the 80's: the Ultra Mags. About 7 or 8 diffrent models, the last 2, were the pretty rare V(mine) & VI. I'll post it in the Ambassadeur section.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

The first disengaging levelwind?  That's pretty cool.

That 499 is a nice looking reel.  Better then Penn #9.
-steve

whalebreath

Quote from: mhc on July 08, 2018, 12:48:13 PM
akfish, I did a quick search on line and came up with this reel - is it similar to what you remember?
There's one like that on the local CG/has been for months paired with a classic old Steelhead rod for only $60 but the quiver here is full for now.

tristan

Quote from: philaroman on July 08, 2018, 12:33:29 AM
that conventional looks mighty close to Dolphins & red Kmart's (Olympic OEM)

That's my thought too.    I have a Kmart 107 that looks very close to your Heddon, Mo.

Mine's missing the clicker button, need to find an alternate and then it's ready to fish!

happyhooker

Both the 499 & Heritage are real lookers--they just reek old time classicism.

Frank

festus

Been checking prices on ebay Heddon conventionals and baitcasters for a while.  They're bringing more $$$$ than the spinners.

TRS

The Heddon 125A has been on my list for awhile, the last few I came across were over priced for the quality,  I don't know alot about Heddons, but that one is worth a few dollars.
They call it fishing, not catching