Salmon trolling reel

Started by Jkjhung, July 07, 2018, 08:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkjhung

I've been using my jigmaster for trolling 2.5 pound balls for salmon, and while it's been getting the job done, I am starting to think there are better options out there. Which reels do you all use to troll 2+ pounds? My options are somewhat limited as I prefer LH reels.

David Hall

I use a hot rod jig master.  With a weight release.

Jkjhung

Quote from: David Hall on July 07, 2018, 08:32:53 PM
I use a hot rod jig master.  With a weight release.

Nice. I use a weight release too. I was using a stock jigmaster. I bet a hot rodded jigmaster is a lot more capable of winching up a 2.5 pound ball every 5 minutes as opposed to a stock one. If there were hot rod internal parts for left hand crank jigmasters I'd be all over them

mikeysm

Take a look at the penn 49L. It can be converted to LH and the gears and drag are more suited for 2lb weights.

David Hall

Yep the LH got you, I'm lefty too, but growing up only got hand me down stuff from my older brother.  Learned to fish and shoot righty.

mikeysm

Its not hard to find LH reels or do a conversion. You dont have to settle anymore.

Mike

basto

Have a look at the tutorial on the Senator 111, 2/0 in the Penn Senator section. This reel was made for what you are doing.
I use one with a 5 stack drag for reef fishing with 50lb braid.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

alantani

try adding a stock penn 24-56 jigmaster power handle!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jkjhung

Quote from: basto on July 09, 2018, 10:47:44 PM
Have a look at the tutorial on the Senator 111, 2/0 in the Penn Senator section. This reel was made for what you are doing.
I use one with a 5 stack drag for reef fishing with 50lb braid.

Thanks, I will take a look into the senators. 

Quote from: alantani on July 10, 2018, 01:26:14 AM
try adding a stock penn 24-56 jigmaster power handle!

I will try that.  Definitely started feeling a little undergunned winching up the 2.5lb ball using the stock handle. 

alantani

oh, and for left handed, take a look at the penn 321 gt2.  i use the 320's for dragging 2.5 pound lead  great reel!  actually much better than the jigmaster.  and you can add a penn senator power handle to that one.  it makes for a very nice upgrade. 

Keta

I have a few questions.

Are downriggers legal?  Does anyone use diving planers?  Does anyone mooch for salmon down there?

I use 12# gear, with Calcutta 400 and ABU 3500 reels,  for Chinook with downriggers and no weight on my line.  When mooching I rarely go heavier than 12 ounce sinkers.

Quote from: David Hall on July 07, 2018, 11:56:35 PM
Yep the LH got you, I'm lefty too, but growing up only got hand me down stuff from my older brother.  Learned to fish and shoot righty.

Around 20% of people are LH but they are ignored by many manufactures.  My granddaughter is right handed but left eye dominant, I convinced her mother to get her LH rifles and teach her to shoot left handed.  She started shooting/hunting grouse with a 22LR when she was not quite 6 years old. Last year she got a mule and whitetail deer with 1 shot each, at 11 years old.  She also shoots bows LH and wants to get a elk and moose with her bow, but she can't draw the legal minimum for them yet.  One of her long term goals is to get tags for bighorn sheep in the area around where they live, they occasionally see them on the road to town.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: Keta on July 10, 2018, 01:19:59 PM

Around 20% of people are LH but they are ignored by many manufactures.  My granddaughter is right handed but left eye dominant, I convinced her mother to get her LH rifles and teach her to shoot left handed.  She started shooting/hunting grouse with a 22LR when she was not quite 6 years old. Last year she got a mule and whitetail deer with 1 shot each, at 11 years old.  She also shoots bows LH and wants to get a elk and moose with her bow, but she can't draw the legal minimum for them yet.  One of her long term goals is to get tags for bighorn sheep in the area around where they live, they occasionally see them on the road to town.

Interesting to hear your daughter's experience, Lee.  I'm a lefty that does a lot of things right-handed, and am left-eye dominant.  The eye-dominance has a big impact on throwing (or shooting) to a target.  I can't pitch worth a damn!  I don't shoot much, but lately am trying to do it left-handed.  My right hand and arm are stronger, so I tend to use them for power.  All fishing is right-handed.  In a lot of things, I can switch hands if I get tired.   I learned to play guitar right-handed, but feel very limited in picking, and would like to try picking with the left hand.

alantani

with the party boats, you have to use 2.5 pound lead with sinker releases.  very old school.  they very rarely mooch anymore, because they are required to use circle hooks and our guys just can't seem to get the hang of it.  plus, fish have been so badly scattered so mooching was not very effective. 

from private boats, we use mostly downriggers with much lighter rods. 

Keta

Ah....charter boat fishing.  Off the Columbia diving planners are popular both private boats and charter.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: alantani on July 10, 2018, 05:00:49 PM
with the party boats, you have to use 2.5 pound lead with sinker releases.  very old school. 

Gentlemen, this is very curious.  I'm trying to manage how it works, on a party boat no less.   To me, a party boat is one with 20-50 fisherman on board, so it sounds like a big mess ???  What is a sinker release?  What happens to the sinker when it is released?  And what happens to the part of the rig that was released from the sinker  I googled it, but didn't find a good picture.  :P