alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Salmon trolling reel
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 24, 2018, 03:31:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salmon trolling reel  (Read 796 times)
Jkjhung

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 11:23:14 AM »

oh, and for left handed, take a look at the penn 321 gt2.  i use the 320's for dragging 2.5 pound lead  great reel!  actually much better than the jigmaster.  and you can add a penn senator power handle to that one.  it makes for a very nice upgrade. 

I do have a Squall 20LWLH, but I wasn't impressed at how quickly the idler gear wore out.  Since replacing the idler gear, it hasn't gotten much use.
El Pescador
Photo Group

San Mateo, California

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »

Decker,

Check out the photo of what we call the "Dog Whistle".

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19163.0

The set up with a Sinker Release, affectionately called a "Dog Whistle" in the parlance of the SF Bay area Salmon Fishing

The right side of the Dog Whistle is tied to the line running to the rod & reel, left side is attached to a Dodger or Flasher, then 5' of leader to the anchovy hook setup.

After the salmon hits & sets the hook, it tightens up and the "dog whistle" sinker releases the lead ball, and it sinks to the bottom of the ocean,  I am sure there are MILLIONS of them sitting quietly on the bottom.

* Dog Whistle & Lead ball.jpg (147.7 KB, 1024x576 - viewed 27 times.)

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!
Swami805

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 07:47:51 PM »

I've done one party boat trip in SF bay. They stagger the depth and troll pretty slow. When some one get bit the sinker releases and the fish comes up to the surface. They just keep trolling while you fight the fish with a very loose drag. Very few tangles, I didn't think it was possible until I saw it. We got limits for 20 by the end of the day.
When we had salmon runs down here and it got scratchy we'd troll without the release and used a snubber. It was on a private boat and didn't like  trolling for anything so it was more meat fishing. The sinkers ain't cheap and there was other junk that would bite it wasting a sinker. Way more fun mooching.
Decker

One fish, two fish, redfish, bluefish.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 05:25:43 AM »

Wayne and Sheridan,  thanks very much for the education.  I've never heard of sacrificing sinkers that way.  That is a lot of lead!  Very interesting.

Been salmon fishing once in a party boat at the mouth of the Columbia river.  I don't think we were trolling, and can't recall the rig used.

I'd like to do some mooching on the West Coast...   I'll show up unexpectedly on a cheap flight with a backpack, on Friday or Saturday, and start PMing Ohana for a couch and a loaner rod.  Grin Grin Grin  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:29:54 AM by Decker » Logged
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 05:33:29 AM »

i've got a spare guest room.........   Grin

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 05:45:47 AM »

Take a look at the penn 49L. It can be converted to LH and the gears and drag are more suited for 2lb weights.

Also, the narrow width of the 49's frame, relative to the increased hight of the spool(compared to that ofa jigmaster)and a lower gear ratio would make cranking up a 2.5lb. sinker every 5min. perhaps easier. I'd guess that on a stock jiggy(post & ring frame not that strong) under that kinda strain, there'ed be all kinds of tweaks that'ed wear your reel out before it's time(gears, bearings, gear sleeve, etc.)

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 07:27:41 AM »

Went out on a SF area Salmon trolling charter with about 15 co-workers years ago. Staggered line trolling lengths,  2lb. sinkers on "dog whistle" rigs, just hooked anchovies behind that. I hooked the first fish on the trip and was immediately tangled with 3 other lines and ended up losing the fish. After that, I couldn't get into it too much for the rest a the day and didn't hook up again. It was entertaining to to watch the fishing activities. I assisted novice persons with rig maintenance and was really entertained by guessing the aprox. time chumming would occur, given the particular shade of green that sea sick co-workers were turning.

I understand the economics of a charter boat business, but crowding fora better profit, is what it is. Don't really wanna do another Salmon charter like that, but I probably will someday. Tomorrow, Imina crowd onto a rockfish charter and see how many drops I can make and avoid tangling others. It's a special skill with lots a variables, cause I'm onea "those guys"(like to go real light on the weight/line).

Is there any environmental controversy caused by the depositing of all that lead on the sea floor? Seems like Calif. is on topa that kinna thing alla time.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:32:20 AM by Gfish » Logged

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 07:31:22 AM »

which boat?

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 07:36:05 AM »

Tomorrow?( hopefully the Checkmate, but I didn't set it up), Or the Salmon trip back in the late 80's(maybe the Huck Finn?).

Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 09:02:01 AM »

I'd like to do some mooching on the West Coast...   I'll show up unexpectedly on a cheap flight with a backpack, on Friday or Saturday, and start PMing Ohana for a couch and a loaner rod.  Grin Grin Grin  

If you are near SE Oregon you can "mooch" a trip to Crater Lake NP and the Lava Beads NM from us.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Decker

One fish, two fish, redfish, bluefish.

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 09:05:03 AM »

Alan and Lee, thank you very much for the offers!  One of these days... Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: