Best way to remove rust from multiple parts?

Started by jplee3, July 08, 2018, 02:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on July 09, 2018, 06:50:39 AM
It's a thirty or forty dollar combo.  How much of that can the reel alone be worth?  

This is why we clean bearings...

The price of new parts for a junk reel would make a good dent in the cost of that DAM that would last forever. 
-steve

And this is a very good point.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

It's a thirty or forty dollar combo.  How much of that can the reel alone be worth?  Half?  If so, it's a fifteen or twenty dollar reel that he has already invested a few hours in repairing.  Time has to be worth something and parts would be throwing good money after bad.  By just getting it working the life of the reel has been doubled.  The price of new parts for a junk reel would make a good dent in the cost of that DAM that would last forever.  
-steve

Well put, Steve! Throwaway reels are just that, throwaways. They're not worth the money or effort it takes once they've been neglected. That's why maintaining and repairing the older quality reels is so-o-o-o important!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jplee3

The reel is back in working order. You can hear the old bearings I'm pretty sure, so new bearings would make things much better but I think it'll be 'functional' - I told her just to use it in freshwater from now on, especially because she bought some new reels that are actually intended for saltwater use.

Even though this is a cheap reel, for me this was all worth it because I'm a noob and learning this stuff. Learning/practicing on a throwaway reel and potentially screwing something up there is a better 'investment' than learning on a Van Staal and screwing that up even worse ;) At least, that's the way I see it, and why I took the time to go through the trouble. On that note, I recently fixed my Shimano Sedona that recently took a sand bath and brought it back to life. That was definitely worth it because it's one of my favorites :)

Midway Tommy

Any time you thoroughly clean bearings they will make noise for awhile until the grease or oil coats/sets into the balls & races. They usually quiet down after some use. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jplee3

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 24, 2018, 03:45:30 AM
Any time you thoroughly clean bearings they will make noise for awhile until the grease or oil coats/sets into the balls & races. They usually quiet down after some use. 

I just saw a video of a guy using a Wahl razor to 'sonically' clean some ball bearings:

Wish I had seen that earlier as I would have tried doing that while soaking the ball bearings in the Breakfree. I'm tempted to tear the reel down again and try it out to see if it helps haha. At this point though the reel spins really nicely. It's just noisy. How long does it take before the sound settles down? I noticed after I packed the bearings with grease it quieted down much more than initially when I was just oiling them. The reel doesn't spin any less than it did when I was only using oil, so I figure it's OK at this point - the bearings didn't have shields, which probably didn't help as I'm pretty positive there was sand or some other sort of particles in them.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

jplee3

I really want to try doing that now! I do have another reel in the queue to repair for the same friend (lol), so maybe I'll save it for that one!

sdlehr

"That guy" is Tacklejunky81 on YouTube, he's got lots of videos on his own channel here
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector