Help for my first bait casting rod-reel combo.

Started by joesan, July 10, 2018, 04:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joesan

I saw an ad from Sportsmans Warehouse here in Idaho for this combo.

Lew's American Hero Baitcast Combo
$89.99
Medium Heavy   7 ft   AH1HL70MH   6.4:1   Lew's Fishing   120 yd/12 lb   1   $89.99

5-ball bearing Speed Spin reel
Graphite reel body and rotor
Double anodized aluminum spool
Zero reverse anti-reverse
IM6 graphite rods
Steel guides and inserts
Lightweight graphite skeletal reel seats
Cushioned stainless steel hoods
EVA split grip handles
No Foul hook keeper
Magnetic Control System cast control
1 piece rods

Would this be a good starter set for me?

Appreciate any help/advice especially if you think this is not a good learning setup.
Thanks

joesan
"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero

alantani

it's light.  sort of depends on what you'll be doing.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

You can't do much better than Lew's for bass fishing...at least that's my experience anyway. I have an older TS1S that is so easy to cast it will gain you no casting knowledge, might as well tape yer thumb to your palm. That double(magnetic and centrifugal) cast control allows you to really zero in. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

1) MOST IMPORTANT: figure out whether you need LH or RH !!!
my 1st baitcaster was RH & even though I'm RH, I HATED IT
turns out I need to work the rod w/ my dominant right & crank the reel w/ weaker left (same as spinners)...  other people are opposite

2) part of that description is a misprint that can only apply to a spinner -- baitcasters don't have rotors
Quote from: joesan on July 10, 2018, 04:24:17 PM

5-ball bearing Speed Spin reel
Graphite reel body and rotor

3) MANY vendors sell it cheaper...  $79.99

oc1

I used Lew's Inshore Speed Spin for a few years in salt water and had no complaints.  The reels are still in excellent shape.

They are calling the spool the rotor.  Not a misprint, just Asian nomenclature.  I can't remember whether the American Hero is made in Korea, Malaysia or Indonesia.
-steve

joesan

Thanks for all the replies...
Some of the info I described came right out of the ad so my aplogies for the confusion of "spin" etc.
I would be using it for small mouth bass mostly under 3lbs
I want a right hand cast and left hand crank

The rod is described as a medium heavy

philaroman

don't like the rod -- too cheap (steel inserts); too heavy for 3-pounders...
might be OK, if you just want to no-net swing 'em into the boat...
banks or wading, I wouldn't want it...

what I like for wet-wading smaller streams, is a lefty pitching/flipping Daiwa TD-X on a 9' Crappie Rod
full enjoyment of smaller fish, yet it can handle carp to low teens when smallies don't cooperate

joesan

Great to get this feedback.
I will take any suggestions for a $100 combo rod reel for the described purpose (SM Bass in the 3lb category)
Once I figure out how to cast with it, probably a Texas rig with plastic bait, it will be passed on to a 10 year old.

We have been doing it with spinning tackle, but thought it might be good to introduce him to bait casting (along with this old fart learning it as well).

Again, thanks for all the help
joesan

TexasShark

My best reel is a Team Lew's Lite TLL1H. But my next reel will be a Daiwa TWS. Not sure which one yet. Regardless of the brand, definitely want a good braking system to avoid backlash. My Lew's has 6 centrifugal brakes and magnetic brake. It's American design, built in Korea.

kungajim

I love the lews line of tackle.  I bought that set up for my 9 y/o son, but in a spincast and it was lighter and smaller.  I love their stuff.  They are solid.  7 ft mh rod with that reel should be fine for  3# smallies.  Enjoy
so many baits....so little time