Telephone number confirmation

Started by mikeysm, August 19, 2018, 05:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I just found out that when I go to pay a bill and now it's paypal. They want me to confirm my telephone number. This give them the right to call me and try and sell me stuff. I disabled all of that stuff earlier this year on all the companys I do business with. Now they are trying to trick me into letting them do it to me again.

Mike

Reel 224

Mike: I just give my business number so I have the opportunity to block and solicitation. I haven't had any problem with them bothering me.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

Mike, I link my utility bills to my checking account. That way nobody else gets the phone#. My other bills "the check is in the mail".  :D :D        Rudy

swill88

I thought they were asking for the cell number to authenticate a login with a lost password.  

Ohh well...

Reel 224

Mike I thought you only referring to PayPal> like Rudy I do all other transitions with the bank wt. ............Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mikeysm

No everyone i deal with has been asking. Paypal tells you what they are doing. Ebay does it also. They have a disclaimer saying that they can call you with offers if you do. They already have my number they do not need it again. I shut all that stuff off earlier this year. Ebay,  PG&E, AT&T, Paypal, Wells Fargo, comcast and several others. I did away with the worst Facebook. Then I got on the don't call list for my cell phone. No more spam calls or emails.

Mike

Benni3

I have had problems before >:( so this is the phone numbers I give them the story of going down the rabbit hole 1-720-865- 8500 :D or 1-540-982-2100 oakeys funeral service,,,,I'm not there now but one day I will ;D

RowdyW

I'm on the no call list with the FCC but still get about 10 boiler room calls a day. I've called the FCC and complained and sent them the numbers of the most frequent calls. It doesn't matter the calls continue. It's gotten so bad that if I don't know the number that is calling I just hit the ignore button on my phone or if one gets through that called & I wasn't around the phone I just hit the erase all button.       Rudy

Swami805

Use to be you could tell by the area code but now they've gotten sneaky and use local numbers. As soon as you pick up they start talking and won't stop! Really annoying.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

paypal has never asked for my phone.
When I do have to give my phone, I give them my work phone.
I block all unwanted calls from my home phone.
They are just going to sell it.
Life is Good!

philaroman

Quote from: RowdyW on August 20, 2018, 02:53:39 AM
I'm on the no call list with the FCC but still get about 10 boiler room calls a day. I've called the FCC and complained and sent them the numbers of the most frequent calls. It doesn't matter the calls continue...

1) does FCC have its own thing, or did you mean FTC ?  https://www.donotcall.gov/  ...and you have to re-register/verify every few (4?) years

2) complaining about numbers is not enough (those keep changing weekly) -- you have to listen to the SOBs long enough to get the name of the Company that's harassing you, for the on-line complaint form

oc1

Quote from: Swami805 on August 20, 2018, 04:23:38 AM
Use to be you could tell by the area code but now they've gotten sneaky and use local numbers. As soon as you pick up they start talking and won't stop! Really annoying.
No lie.  After they call once I block the number but they seem to have a lot more numbers than I have patience.
-steve

mikeysm

You have to go to their Web site and turn all the stuff off or they will keep calling. They make it hard to find but it's there. It's on by default so you have to disable it. That's when they try to get you to verify your number. Read the fine print and it will tell what the are actually up to.

Mike

Dominick

Go to nomorobo.com   It's a free service.  The only problem is if you have ATT as your telephone service as they won't allow it.  Otherwise the telephone rings once and disconnects if the call is a robo call.  Great for cutting out lots of calls.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mikeysm

That's because they like to call you also.

Mike