New Accurate Star Drag Tern

Started by Leviathan311, July 12, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leviathan311

Accurate is coming out with the "first" star drag reel with dual drags.
Before I go casting money away, do any of you have any intial thoughts/opinions on the durability and performance of such a reel?
It claims to have 30lbs of drag, but I guess we wont know truly know how it performs until it comes out in September.

https://accuratefishing.com/tern/

Tightlines667

We would have to see a schematic or photos of the reel dissasembled to understand the exact mechanism by which the drag operates.  It sounds like its a standard star drag reel, but with drag surfaces on either side of the main gear.  This in and of itself does not seem to make for increased or smoother drag.  It still is appling drag to the main gear which will be transfered via the pinion indirectly to the spool.  Also the surface area of a single drag surface will be limited by the size of the gear or plates that would be integral to the gear.  Its not clear how many drag washers there are total (maybe 2 total?), or if there are additional drag plates besides the gear itself, or if the drag material is fixed relative to the main gear and or plates (such as in the verea drag).  All of these things make a significant difference in total working drag surface area, circumfrance, etc.  Also, not sure if its got bellevilles, or something else to ensure controlled drag curve with the opposing drag washers. 

If you crack one open, take pics and post them up.  I am sure others would be interested.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Craigen

It has a stainless AR bearing but no dogs, so what happens if this bearing fails?

swill88

Quote from: Craigen on July 12, 2018, 05:20:14 PM
It has a stainless AR bearing but no dogs, so what happens if this bearing fails?

Oldtimey experience?

Decker

Quote from: swill88 on July 12, 2018, 05:48:45 PM
Quote from: Craigen on July 12, 2018, 05:20:14 PM

Oldtimey experience?

I.E. - knuckle buster -- LOL

skrilla

I'm guessing the main gear looks asymetrical but we shall wait and see. I want to get one just to open it up. So far just a bunch of staffers regurgitating buzzwords on the other forums.  ;D I do like the 4.7:1 option for us surface iron throwers.

Leviathan311

Wish it came with dogs.
Eager to find out what exactly "30lbs" of drag is. Is Accurate claims usually about initial drag resistence, or consistent fighting drag?
I'm going to have to put a pre order for a 400x.  ;D

whalebreath

Technical details aside it is well priced.

Normslanding

Dogs, that's something for you all to figure out. I did see one at ICAST and they are what you would expect from Accurate.

handi2

The clutch bearing they use is big with multiple long rollers. Its strong.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

From what I've seen & been told about these reels so far, they are very fine star drags. I've yet to dismantle one. So there is more like the rest of you, I would like to know. Until proven differently I don't believe Penn has to much to worry about when comparing the Tern to their Torque star drags.

I'm thinking there is enough difference between the two there's room in the market for both. It will make for a more competitive market place... Jeff

Gfish

Interesting. Drag washers on both sides of the main gear. It would seem that it would not increase drag smoothness as John mentioned. At least not to the level of high-end smoothness you see in their twin-drag reels. No AR dogs---bad. Yeah I'd love to see an anatomy lesson on this'n.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

It's ugly. Unless you like the beer-belly look.  ;D

whalebreath

Quote from: nelz on September 02, 2018, 07:00:36 AMIt's ugly. Unless you like the beer-belly look....
LOL-Quite true.

Reminds me something of Honda when they started to come out with heavy ugly front end heavy cars-and then for a while every major manufacturer was producing that look Thankfully it's fading now.

MarkT

I think they indicated that there are 2 washers on each side of the main gear. All the Boss Valiant reels have an ARB and no dogs, the Tern is following that path. Their ARB has longer rods so they hold well. I haven't heard of any failures even when catching cow tuna on the 800/1000 sizes.

My new Honda Civic I got last week is pretty cool!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!