Discount Aftermarket Handles

Started by mo65, July 12, 2018, 01:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I guess I don't get out enough, I just discovered these. There must be a billion listings on eBay for these aftermarket handles. Prices vary wildly, so surf. These ones I'm showing were all under $10 each, shipped. These can really change the feel of a reel, making a Penn designed for bay fishing feel like a nice round reel designed for bass fishing. Also a major upgrade for older ABUs with those tiny handles. These handles are a direct fit for Ambassaduers and such, but you'll need to Dremel a little to fit them on a Penn. I had a bit of a stumble on the Levelmatic 930...I like to make the hole a tight fit...using the handle screw to sort of "press" the handle on the gear sleeve. Well, I forgot how tiny the 930's handle screw is, and twisted it in half! Never fear, Scott's is here! Mo will have parts in my mailbox before I even stop crying! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

cwillis85

This is a great idea, my 5 year old daughter uses a 920 and could use a little more leverage on a full sabiki of greenies. Thanks for sharing.
Chris

xjchad

Mo,
I was scrolling through pages of those the other day looking for a cheap upgrade for my next Mag 10 build.  Ordered one from China so hopefully I can finish the Monster Mag 10 before it gets here and start on my next one.   ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

When I was fishing abu 5500's the first thing I'd change was the handle. Bass pro had some called hog handlers. Made a huge difference. Benn thinking of something for my shimano TE 300. I'll check those out thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

Baitcasters never have enough speed or IPT's for me.  The only exception is Curado 70 with 8:1.  So, I'm thinking about shortening the handles and using a counter balance to keep from bumping my knuckles on the other knob.
-steve

mizmo67

Quote from: mo65 on July 12, 2018, 01:00:08 PM
  I guess I don't get out enough, I just discovered these. There must be a billion listings on eBay for these aftermarket handles. Prices vary wildly, so surf. These ones I'm showing were all under $10 each, shipped. These can really change the feel of a reel, making a Penn designed for bay fishing feel like a nice round reel designed for bass fishing. Also a major upgrade for older ABUs with those tiny handles. These handles are a direct fit for Ambassaduers and such, but you'll need to Dremel a little to fit them on a Penn. I had a bit of a stumble on the Levelmatic 930...I like to make the hole a tight fit...using the handle screw to sort of "press" the handle on the gear sleeve. Well, I forgot how tiny the 930's handle screw is, and twisted it in half! Never fear, Scott's is here! Mo will have parts in my mailbox before I even stop crying! :D

Sometimes I get a yen to learn how to machine parts...then I smack myself because I already have no time!

These are really cool handles!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

mo65

Got the new handle screw from Mystic Reel Parts. I modified the screw lock to fit the Penn screw, and the finished product looks and feels fantastic. I have a feeling this thing is going to find it's way onto a rod real soon! 8)

Maxed Out

That's one sweet looking levelmatic Mo

I really like the single cork knob too !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

JRD

MO I'm late to this party.  How did you bend the star on the Cortez???  One got a Revo handle I want to adapt to Penn but need the star out of the way

mo65

Quote from: JRD on August 26, 2018, 01:24:51 AM
MO I'm late to this party.  How did you bend the star on the Cortez???  One got a Revo handle I want to adapt to Penn but need the star out of the way

I used a small smooth jawed vise and just bent it by hand, one arm at a time. The brass star bends very easy...so go slow...just a little at a time. 8)

Cor

A few days after reading this I ordered two handle knobs from these guys, even for us pretty cheap, including bearings.

I have been burnt before, but could not resist.

They have not yet arrived, but it usually takes a long long time to get here!

Will let you know how they hold up!
Cornelis

mo65

Quote from: Cor on August 26, 2018, 07:56:22 AM

We were talking about these cheapo handles on another thread here and I summed it up like this: A $10 chinese handle is like a lottery ticket...might be a winner...and it might not! 8)

Cor

Quote from: mo65 on August 26, 2018, 02:25:32 PM
Quote from: Cor on August 26, 2018, 07:56:22 AM

We were talking about these cheapo handles on another thread here and I summed it up like this: A $10 chinese handle is like a lottery ticket...might be a winner...and it might not! 8)
Maybe I did not make the connection or did not see.   Ill let you know what I recieve, maybe suitable for a sinker ;D ;D
Cornelis

mo65

Quote from: Cor on August 26, 2018, 02:49:11 PM
   Ill let you know what I receive, maybe suitable for a sinker ;D ;D

I ordered a few more around the time I made this post too. The one I really want hasn't shown, and that wacky chinese tracking doesn't seem to work. If it's any consolation one of them showed a few days ago, it was a $5 item, but you'd have no trouble paying $20 for that handle. It's nothing I'd put on a heavy duty application, but for what it's designed to do it should be fine.

oc1

I can't figure out how the Chinese can mail stuff overseas so cheaply.  They must have some sort of government subsidy or incentive program.
-steve