Discount Aftermarket Handles

Started by mo65, July 12, 2018, 01:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

There's a world wide agreement about mail and rates for postage,I don't recall the name of it. If you work the system it's much cheaper to mail something from China than it is to mail it domestically. Makes absolutely no sense. There was a good story on NPR about it last week, about a guy here who made tip proof coffee mugs and how that were knocked-off in China and sold for what he paid just for shipping. You could find it NPR's website I'm sure. Pretty interesting if you ever wondered.
Sorry for the thread jack.
Nice job on the levelmatic Moe,I have one but don't use it because that handle is so tiny, I'll have to check that out
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Robert Janssen

It was an episode of Planet Money a few weeks ago. It explained the so-called Free Shipping thing and the Universal Postal Union rather well.

Edit: Episode 857: The Postal Illuminati

Decker

Mo, I'd like to find a double-paddle handle for this (Penn 259 plates on Tiburon P21XN), like the one on your Levelmatic 930.  Let me know if you have a lead... 8)  Thanks.

xjchad

Quote from: Decker on September 06, 2018, 12:39:02 PM
Mo, I'd like to find a double-paddle handle for this (Penn 259 plates on Tiburon P21XN), like the one on your Levelmatic 930.  Let me know if you have a lead... 8)  Thanks.

Joe, I have that exact handle that Mo put on his levelmatic.  Brand new, I didn't end up using it.   PM me your address and I'll send it out to ya.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Hey Joe and Chad, just a little "heads up", you'll have to Dremel the handle hole to fit the Penn reel. That handle has an Abu Garcia size hole on it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Good news and bad news  ::)

Good news is I received the "Godzilla" handle from Chad.  Thanks!  AND it looks great on the 259/P21XN!

Bad news is, I used a dremel on the mounting hole, and it was hard to control.  The handle material was a bit soft and even with the dremel at slowest rpm, the material went away too fast.   It fits, but too loosely.   Oh, well.   Woulda, coulda, shoulda bought a set of small files for this job instead.  

Maybe one of the site's metal fabricators will come up with a handle like this one day...

mo65

Darn! Hey...as low as they're priced...just order another one. I think the files are a good idea though. 8)

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on September 10, 2018, 04:46:31 PM
   Darn! Hey...as low as they're priced...just order another one. I think the files are a good idea though. 8)

Yeah, if at first you don't succeed... They are cheap.  BTW, I took off the slotted end of one of the knobs to see if it might be used on another handle.  Turns out the slot is a head-fake; the cover is lightly epoxied on the knob (no threads), and there is no hardware inside that can be undone.  What can you expect for $10? 

mo65

Wow Joe, that would look great on that reel if you hadn't got the hole too large. I just checked this other handle I haven't used yet and it has a threaded cover and a bearing inside...and it was only $8.73 shipped! What the #%&@?? We better avoid those "top of the line" $10 cheapos. :D

mo65

Hey...stop the presses! I just noticed that red package the "godzilla" handle came in, and remembered my handle came in a blue package. I went back to the eBay link to view mine and it appears to be a little different. It has 2 bearings per knob and the knob is removable! Here's a link to my handle if you decide to try another Joe. 8)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerful-Handle-for-Abu-Garcia-Daiwa-Baitcasting-Reel-EVA-Knobs-Baitcaster-Grip/113203645115?hash=item1a5b768abb:g:yM4AAOSwTZtbdDQk

Decker

AHA! You are the resident authority, Mo. My Godzilla was a cheap Chinese imitation of yours :D If we keep talking about this, they'll relegate us to a special sub-section of the site. That one looks like it may be worthy of buying the files. I want to build the modification skill pto do other handle brand switching. How others do it with a dremel, I don't know.

mo65

Quote from: Decker on September 10, 2018, 11:17:13 PM
If we keep talking about this, they'll relegate us to a special sub-section of the site.

I've never earned an Alan Tani wrench yet...maybe being a "cheap handle guru" will earn me a plastic wrench! :D

Quote from: Decker on September 10, 2018, 11:17:13 PM
I want to build the modification skill to do other handle brand switching. How others do it with a dremel, I don't know.

I feel partially responsible for this failure Joe...as I never mentioned I have the battery powered dremel...and that junker slows to a crawl while grinding metal. Whether you attempt another handle mod or not get the files, you'll need them at some point. 8)

alantani

Quote from: mo65 on September 10, 2018, 11:39:41 PM

I've never earned an Alan Tani wrench yet...maybe being a "cheap handle guru" will earn me a plastic wrench! :D

seriously?  send a pm with your address and i'll send you a wrench!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Decker

Congrats, Mo!

Thanks for your tips and encouragement!

mo65

Quote from: alantani on September 11, 2018, 05:49:02 AM
send a pm with your address and i'll send you a wrench! 

Thank you very much Alan!

Quote from: Decker on September 11, 2018, 06:39:04 PM
Congrats, Mo!

Thanks for your tips and encouragement!

You're most welcome Joe, always glad to help!