Socket wrenches for penn handle nuts

Started by Swami805, July 12, 2018, 03:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I saw John (54bullseys) had a buddy make him a socket wrench for penn handle nuts. Is that a thing?  It sure would be a handy item. Anybody sell those?  Making one is completely out of my wheel house. Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Sheridan,
I noticed that too, beautiful tool!  8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

bluefish69

I need 2 of them. 1 for each size Penn Handle Nut. I'm sure that I know people that would also want them.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Hardy Boy

I would want one for sure .............. in each size. This would be a great project for someone.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

akfish

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on July 12, 2018, 03:22:48 PM
I saw John (54bullseys) had a buddy make him a socket wrench for penn handle nuts. Is that a thing?  It sure would be a handy item. Anybody sell those?  Making one is completely out of my wheel house. Thanks Sheridan

C'mon Sherinda, when I saw the thread I thought you have some like those for sale

that thing is a real beauty I must say
The Baja Guy

MarkT

I just use the wrench that comes with the reel or my AT wrench.  But being a tool ho as well as a tackle ho means I should get one if they become available!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mo65

Quote from: alantani on July 12, 2018, 05:50:17 PM
don't laugh.  i use this.  works pretty well.  

Hey...I have one of those things somewhere...:o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Hardy Boy

Alan that does not cost nearly enough money !!!  ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Midway Tommy

don't laugh.  i use this.  works pretty well. 

:o HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

I would have laughed if it was anyone but you.  Does look convenient and quicker than rummaging through a tray of nut drivers and sockets for something simple.
-steve

foakes

Sort of reminds me of the pinclock in my shop.

I have thought about a socket for the cranknuts...

But for me, the problem is that the socket hides the nut.

Generally, after a service, these start easily enough with just my fingers — the threads are soft chrome over brass and short anyway — and I can use the wrench to get the groove lined up for the keeper screw first time.

For removing the nuts, a socket may be better.

But I always go back to Gomer Pyle tightening my wheel lugs with an impact gun.

Not that big of a deal for me, but I still like the idea of a socket for removing the nuts.  As long as no damage occurs to the nut or the handle blade.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Quote from: redpaulhus on July 20, 2018, 02:35:46 AM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076D6GVM1/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B076D6GVM1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1713835751726239774&pf_rd_r=VK45X4FX2111W69RHW52&pd_rd_wg=iOcyP&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=6uHVO&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=e57ba06b-85fb-11e8-8bbd-f3f1ca6ad2c0

I use one as well - i think I got mine at Harbor Freight.

I was talking to Alan about asking Tom to machine a bunch of flip sockets (one side is smaller nut, the other side is larger), but after further discussion, it would be cost prohibitive and would not make much sense.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D