Bay area laser cutting service

Started by mikeysm, July 14, 2018, 06:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Does anyone know of a laser cutter in the bay area that wont put you on a three month waiting list. I am having to much trouble getting a handle for my 16/0. I might as well start making handles for the large penn reels and sell them.

Mike

Keta

I'm in the same situation here, my last cutting order was turned in 4 months ago.  I wish the machines were not so expensive.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

Well we need to find a solution to our problem. I have searched for handles and nothing is being made anywhere.

Mike

theswimmer

Can it be water jet ? I can do 7 day turn on any water jet bulk cut .
Let me know.
Best ,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

mikeysm

No to much clean up afterwards compaired to laser cutting.

Mike

Three se7ens

Quote from: mikeysm on July 15, 2018, 01:03:51 AM

Mike

Care to elaborate?  If cleanup is necessary after waterjet cutting, the cutter isnt doing it right.  Laser can hold a little better tolerance, but waterjet can still hold plus/minis .005 consistently, although most shops will quote plus/minus .010".

All my handles are waterjet cut, and I hand fit them to the gear sleeve.

Keta

Quote from: mikeysm on July 15, 2018, 01:03:51 AM

Mike

Yup, that's one of the reasons I lost $ when I did them, tapered cuts was the main reason I filled my scrap tub with rejects.  I will do one or two at a time to keep the loss low and I owe you a few.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

Lee we both want it to be as good as possible. I wouldn't  go this far but I dont have any other choice. I want a handle that will compliment the reel.

Mike

mikeysm

A laser cutter that can handle the work we need isnt to expensive. I just dont need another job. I have
been on overtime since May first. I will be going seven days a week on tuesday until October. Then I get off until january first. They want to work me all year but I make enough on unemployment and I get a rest.

Mike

Keta

Quote from: mikeysm on July 15, 2018, 02:30:19 PM
Lee we both want it to be as good as possible. I wouldn't  go this far but I dont have any other choice. I want a handle that will compliment the reel.

Mike

Not even the least bit of a problem.  I can even provide you with the e-drawings.

Are you having a outage at work?

Mark Twain

theswimmer

Been cutting parts for the Porsche , Audi and  Alpha clubs  for years.
Also have produced parts for the Top Fuel Hydro guys as well. 6000 bhp at the props.
777 is correct.
If the machine is right and the operator isn't stoned .......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

54bullseye

The guy who cut my handle used a 3 axis CNC machine .   John Taylor

mikeysm

Mlll work always looks great. Unless you want to make a 1000 pieces your out of luck with cnc.

Mike

mikeysm

I finally got lucky today on a shop to laser cut my handles for my 20/0. I have been waiting to meet a machinest who makes parts for our seamers at work. He also is a commercial fisherman. He only shows up several times a year. Well he showed up today and he invited me to his shop in Santa Clara when I have time off. Well he has a friend across the street with a laser cutter. He said I can get my handles cut there. What luck I ordered the metal for the handles just 20 minutes before he showed up. It can't get any better than that.

Mike

broadway

Good stuff, Mike! Timing is everything. Are you going with aluminum or SS for that beast?
John, I love that handle something fierce... your buddy did a heck of a job on that one.
Dom