Main Menu

Venison Roast

Started by ChileRelleno, July 14, 2018, 10:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

That marvelous lunch of Grilled Greek Lamb Pockets wasn't enough, just an appetizer for dinner if you will.
My son wanted a repeat of my Banging Brined Bacon Venison Roasts,
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/banging-brined-bacon-venison-roasts.271641/
So last night I took a couple of Venison Roasts and put them into a nice brine.

Brine
1gal water
1.5C kosher salt
.5C seasoned salt
2T mixed peppercorns
3T dried onion
2T granulated garlic
3 bay leaves, whole dried
1T each, dried/crushed, sage, thyme, rosemary and whole celery seed
Bring all to boil for 2 minutes, stir well and then cool to room temp.

Then after lunch I pulled them out, rinsed them, applied some EVOO and rub then I wrapped them in bacon, with a final dusting of rub.

Then it was into a 275°-300° smoker with a mix of Hickory and Cherry.
I cooked them to an IT of 140°, then pulled foiled and toweled for a nice long rest.
And that is where they're currently at awaiting dinner.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

theswimmer

I thought I liked to cook , but you crazy man........
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

ChileRelleno

Quote from: theswimmer on July 14, 2018, 10:55:55 PM
Just a little Bro, just a little...   ;)
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Okay, I re-learned two lessons in one today.
1) Don't foil wrap to rest anything bacon wrapped
It steams the bacon soft, grrrrr, and the IT rises way too much, as in it continues to cook.
I knew this... I'm claiming an early senior moment.

Instead of looking like this

It looked like this

Still tasted great, and the brine meant it was moist-n-juicy.
And it was tender too, went real nice next to a salad.

Ragnar Benson:

MarkT

Glad it was good but I'd prefer the pink version!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

after having tried many variations, occasionally things don't go as spectacularly well as I planned for and then the meal prep turns into a rescue mission.  Sauces really help with that!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: MarkT on July 15, 2018, 02:24:36 AM
Glad it was good but I'd prefer the pink version!
I much prefer the pink version too.

Two plus hours resting wrapped in foil and towels and it was still pretty warm when I unwrapped it.
A good thing with brisket or a butt, not with two small roasts and bacon.
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: David Hall on July 15, 2018, 04:56:42 AM
after having tried many variations, occasionally things don't go as spectacularly well as I planned for and then the meal prep turns into a rescue mission.  Sauces really help with that!
Thankfully no sauce was needed here.
The rest was in fact a low temp braise, nicely tender.
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 14, 2018, 11:17:26 PM
Quote from: theswimmer on July 14, 2018, 10:55:55 PM
Just a little Bro, just a little...   ;)
I know you John ;)
You are past a little,
You are a good man and I'm glad I do know you. ;D
Life is Good!

jigmaster501

If you guys want a rare looking roast that is fully cooked, you need steam.

Steam overcomes evaporate cooling and prevents oxidation of the iron in the hemoglobin which makes the meat brown. Steam also keeps the meat moist..

Soggy bacon sucks very much though....

You have a few options:

If you want the no bacon approach, you can sear the outside of the meat and then put the meat in a covered pan with a liquid in the bottom and the meat elevated.

The liquid will create steam as long as you have enough liquid it will create 100 humidity in the covered pan. If you have high humidity, you can go with a 250F oven.

This will make sure that the outer surface doesn't get so hot that when you rest the meat, it equilibrates at a much higher internal temperature.

If you use steam and cook at 250F and get the internal temperature up to 130F, you need to hold the meat in a 130F oven for 112 minutes for a 6.5D kill of salmonella. You can do a 7D kill with steam and it will be fine too but try 6.5 for roasts other than poultry.

As the temperature increases, you need less time held at that specific temperature.

This chart indicates the internal temperature and the required minimum time at that temperature....

130  112 min.
131  89 min.
132  71 min.
133  56 min.
134  45 min.
135  36 min.
136  28 min.
137  23 min.
138  18 min.
139  15 min.
140  12 min.

Once it reaches one of these temps and times held at that temp for the required time, the meat is done. This chart is from USDA.

For the bacon approach, steam your roast to an internal time and temperature above without searing, minus 10 minutes.
Take the meat out, wrap in bacon and them sear the bacon around the roast and it is done. It will take 10 minutes to sear the meat and you will be ok.

After that you can go sous vide but that requires an investment in equipment to ensure that you you are reaching proper internal temperatures for specific times. It is not easy and not very accurate without proper equipment.

Hope this helps.

Eugene

David Hall

Eugene, thanks, I printed that one out for easy reach.

ChileRelleno

Eugene,
I'm smoking and grilling here, no steam or Sous vide.
I too know a little about cooking and cooking safety.
So if you could do me a favor, save your lengthy safety preaching posts for someone else.
Please feel free to post them in your stickied Food Safety thread and maybe just stop by my thread, say hi, leave a comment and a link to your relevant post.

Thanks,
John/Chile
Ragnar Benson:

jigmaster501

I knew you were smoking, others don't have access to a smoker.

Safety was one thing, color retention was what I was after as this is one of the biggest complaints people have with roasts.

The charts with steam provide a starting point for people to get what they want.