Help with an Aluminum Bent Butt for an older 130 lb. class rod

Started by 54bullseye, July 15, 2018, 02:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

This rod was listed on eBay for a while and I kept going back and looking at it. I thought the Marlin on the unusual crinkle type fore grip was cool and it all looked to be in good shape other than the lack of a butt. I also thought the thread work was neat don't know how he did the stars ??  The writing with date and owners name was cool to.  Well I made the guy an offer and got it pretty cheap.  I think that the rod being from 1984 it most likely had an Aluminum butt possibly a bent butt but I am not sure ?  The reel seat looks like a Lakeland to me but the female ferrules from other Lakeland butts I have are slightly smaller diameter but the nut both on the rod and on the reel seat fit this one. The ferrule on the rod is Aluminum and fits the # 6 Aftco butts so I could go that route and buy a # 6 butt with reel seat on it but I would like to use the older reel seat it came with. This reel seat might not have been original to the rod is another thought ??

What I want to find is a bent butt "blank" with no reel seat to fit this seat. The ID is ( 1.34" ) and the seat has an odd step inside the back end where Aluminum blank fits in ?  I have seen these Aluminum butts that look like they are pressed in with a nylon bushing around them for a tight fit and seen others that just look like Aluminum is just pressed in directly so not exactly sure what I need to make this work.

Any body out there ever installed a bent butt into a reel seat ?  Anybody have a bent butt blank or know where I might find one.I guess any help would be great !! If all else fails I will get a # 6 Aftco for it !!   Thanks     John Taylor    

Here are pics of rod / reel seat and best pics I could take of inside ferrules.

you can tap on pics to blow them up.

54bullseye

more pics

54bullseye

last pics

54bullseye

Picture of female ferrule rod fits into.

droppedit

John, that looks like an Aftco store a butt without the butt. https://cdn3.volusion.com/vwzye.mzcam/v/vspfiles/photos/SB4%20SEAT-S-3.jpg?1412136933
Not sure but maybe Sheridan can help on that.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

droppedit

This comes from an old Merrick catalog

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

54bullseye

I see what your saying but that is an old either brass or bronze seat that is chrome plated. It's very heavy duty. The rod end has that same ferrule as shown with the Stor A Butt but the end where either a wood or Aluminum butt goes is unusual to me. I have never taken an old butt / reel seat like this apart ? I am thinking Aluminum for sure as usually when it's a wood butt reel seat is a tube and you can see where wood is glued from end also they used pins to hold rod straight to seat.   John Taylor

Swami805

Got me on that one,you guys probably know more about those than me. Randy might have something stashed away. I could do that star wrap ,wouldn't want to though,that's a painful amount of work. Beautiful rod,someone spent a lot of time on that one. Never seen that crinkle grip with the marlin before.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

conchydong

Quote from: droppedit on July 15, 2018, 03:08:13 PM
John, that looks like an Aftco store a butt without the butt. https://cdn3.volusion.com/vwzye.mzcam/v/vspfiles/photos/SB4%20SEAT-S-3.jpg?1412136933

Dave

I agree. I don't know of any other company that utilized the same concept with the removable reel seat section.

John, the end of the reel seat section that the butt fits into should have a built in "pin" exactly like the female end that the rod fits into if it is indeed a stor-a-butt. The butt only section has a recessed indent to fit into the "pin".

Scott

54bullseye

Quote from: conchydong on July 15, 2018, 05:00:11 PM
Quote from: droppedit on July 15, 2018, 03:08:13 PM

Dave

I agree. I don't know of any other company that utilized the same concept with the removable reel seat section.

John, the end of the reel seat section that the butt fits into should have a built in "pin" exactly like the female end that the rod fits into if it is indeed a stor-a-butt. The butt only section has a recessed indent to fit into the "pin".

Scott

Scott
This is a vintage reel seat made of Brass or Bronze that is Chrome Plated. I agree the front female ferrule looks like what is used with the Store A Butt but am sure it's not one !!! It's hard to get a good picture of inside of ferrule that accepts butt section so I tried to light it up better. Also pictured is just the reel seat it isn't Aftco.   I am pretty sure this fits an aluminum butt for permanent fit not easy take apart.    John Taylor

conchydong

John, after seeing it up close, you are correct. You may have to just try a newer type number 6 curved butt (not a storabutt) and see it if will fit onto the rod ferrule and collet nut. Perhaps a big game tackle store or someone that lives near you with a number 6 would let you check for fit before you purchased one. I have a number 2 and a number 4 but not any thing that large.

Good luck,

Scott

54bullseye

Scott
As I said in first part of this post a # 6 fits as I have a few rods with # 6 butts and tried it but I have seen the blank butts and want to stick to old seat.

I have since found this and am gonna call them tomorrow with my measurements and see what they have.  Thanks for the input though !!!   

http://www.johnnyspond.com/aftco-big-game-trolling-butts-.html                     John Taylor

seacane

Hi John
I have a Biscayne Rod 130 # IGFA that was built in the late 70s. It came originally with a Varmac reel seat and an AFTCO bent butt (I don't know the size but it must have been the heaviest they made. The reel seat cracked a couple of years ago and by luck Biscayne had one NOS Lakeland seat. They removed the ferrule from the rod with a Dremel and epoxied the Lakeland ferrule. Next, they removed the old seat (again with a Dremel) from the bent butt and exposed a ferrule. This bent butt ferrule was then epoxied to the aft part of new Lakeland seat. From looking at your pictures this is what I believe you have and the missing piece is the old style AFTCO bent butt that would be epoxied to the aft part of your seat.
I don't know how to post photos from my phone to here but if you PM your email I will send you what I have.
Regards
Roberto

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

54bullseye

Quote from: seacane on July 17, 2018, 01:12:50 PM
Hi John
I have a Biscayne Rod 130 # IGFA that was built in the late 70s. It came originally with a Varmac reel seat and an AFTCO bent butt (I don't know the size but it must have been the heaviest they made. The reel seat cracked a couple of years ago and by luck Biscayne had one NOS Lakeland seat. They removed the ferrule from the rod with a Dremel and epoxied the Lakeland ferrule. Next, they removed the old seat (again with a Dremel) from the bent butt and exposed a ferrule. This bent butt ferrule was then epoxied to the aft part of new Lakeland seat. From looking at your pictures this is what I believe you have and the missing piece is the old style AFTCO bent butt that would be epoxied to the aft part of your seat.
I don't know how to post photos from my phone to here but if you PM your email I will send you what I have.
Regards
Roberto

Roberto I sent you a PM   Thanks  John Taylor