Help with an Aluminum Bent Butt for an older 130 lb. class rod

Started by 54bullseye, July 15, 2018, 02:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I could be way off but looking at the threads it looks like a very early Pac-Bay.  I think they started in business making aftco knock-offs, I don't know that they've been around that long though. Just a guess, their stuff doesn't have logos on it either.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

Well my thanks go out to Roberto for finding me the perfect butt for this rod. He got in touch with friends that own Biscayne Rod Co and they had one Aftco left so new old stock !!!  It's a bent butt that has a piece of Ash protruding that you file to fit your reel seat ! It's only 2 thousands off so no issue !!  Then you epoxy it in. Pics to follow when I get it.  Thanks Again Roberto !! I will be in touch.   John Taylor

54bullseye

Well received Old school Aftco butt from Roberto yesterday very nice !! The shaft that goes into reel seat isn't Ash it's thick Aluminum Tubing with cork inside and it has a hard rubber or nylon coating over it. I have pics below. It was slightly over sized so I used a bench grinder to take it down. It looks rough but it fits snug then I shaped end to fit ferrule like I described earlier in post. Then took grinder and put some groves into Aluminum and also made groves inside ferrule so when I epoxied it it can't spin. I used JB Weld on both inside of ferrule and out side of butt and put the JB plenty heavy !! I indexed butt to ferrule so no messing around while gluing it. I did spin ferrule around back and forth a few times to make sure JB Weld got into all the grooves !  Then I wiped all excess off and clamped it solid so it wouldn't push apart .  I think it will work fine.  Thanks for looking !!    John Taylor

54bullseye

thorhammer

conchydong

That's awesome, we always continue to learn on this site.
Glad it worked out for you.

Scott

54bullseye

Quote from: thorhammer on July 25, 2018, 06:52:56 PM
wow great work! what are you putting on it?

The rod on page one of this post will go with the butt and reel seat.  John Taylor

thorhammer

UKChris

I've loved seeing that old rod brought back to life and so glad you found a butt to fit the reel seat. At first I wondered whether it might have been an old Varmac 6H but clearly is isn't.

Amongst my acquisitions, I have now got a Varmac 5H with a solid (yes solid) aluminium bent butt - weights a lot! No name on the butt. I wonder where that originated.