Green Machine

Started by Shark Hunter, July 16, 2018, 05:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I had a unique build on my hands.
A T4 WEX in a custom color from Ted.
The best parts were chosen for this.
Double dog bridge with stainless sleeve and the best gears available.
I purchased a parts reel for some necessary parts.
The parts reel was the worst. It literally had oil everywhere.
I took it outside and bathed it in Coleman Fuel, to rid it of the quart of oil that was used for lubrication.
Upon assembly, there is issues.
Everything went together easily, but the gears grind when put together.
I reassembled a dozen times, and I know when to walk away.
The spool is true, The gears are right, but every time I assemble, you can't crank the handle.
The bridge screws are not touching the spool, but the alignment with the gears is making the problem.
The next step will be using a regular brass bridge with a stainless sleeve and see how it goes.
There are so many part possibility's to make this right.
After six hours, I've had enough.
Life is Good!

day0ne

I had a similar problem with a dd bridge. The bridge was from the second batch and came from Penn Parts. It seems that some bridges with one hole in the wrong place got into circulation. Alan C tried to get them back but a few got out. Alan C replaced mine with the correct bridge and it fixed everything. If your bridge is from the second batch, an easy way to tell is to see if one of the holes has been welded up and redrilled. If not, it may be one of the recalled bridges.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Shark Hunter

The Build has his gears and Bridge.
If either one is faulty, it is no fault of mine.
It is just frustrating trying to use the best and it runs into problems.
Bone stock works for me if it doesn't take an afternoon.
There is no reason for this.
I'll figure it out, Just not tonight.
I'm done for now.
Life is Good!

xjchad

Daron,
I think I see what the problem is.
I noticed it in the last picture.
You need a bigger hammer  ;)
J/K, I know these types of issues are frustrating.
Hopefully a nights sleep and coming back to it later will reveal the issue and that reel will be working good as it looks!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Maxed Out

Perhaps this green machine wants you to install stock internals  ;)

Walking away in frustration really sucks.....it's a humbling experience, especially for anyone that has built as many reels as you..... I feel your pain my friend

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

i bet i have a half dozen bagged i haven't solved yet. some are years old.

Shark Hunter

I left it on the table, just as pictured.
I'm in no Hurry.
When you really take your time and clean and ready every part and then it doesn't work.
I know when to say when.
I think I will take your advice Ted. I have a narrow Californian I need to do also.
It has the Accuplates and one of your blue handles and shifter.
Life is Good!

Swami805

I have a 501 that I've been working on for over a year. I'll pick it up and try again every month or so still isn't right. Then take another build and it snaps together like legos. Good to know I'm not alone. You'll get it Daron
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Army_of_One

I just did my purple narrow Accurate with the same bridge.  I had an issue with the under gear washer.  The studs on the bridge will make contact with anything under gear that is a bigger outer diameter than the carbontex in Bryan's ultimate kit.  I can see them pushing the gears into each other by way of the under gear washer.  It might not be the problem, but it could help.  :)
Another day in Paradise!

Gfish

Quote from: Army_of_One on July 16, 2018, 07:57:40 PM
I just did my purple narrow Accurate with the same bridge.  I had an issue with the under gear washer.  The studs on the bridge will make contact with anything under gear that is a bigger outer diameter than the carbontex in Bryan's ultimate kit.  I can see them pushing the gears into each other by way of the under gear washer.  It might not be the problem, but it could help.  :)

Hmmmmmmmm... This could be relevant to some past builds a mine.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

vilters

makes me feel less inept to know someone with as much experience/expertise runs into issues as well. I had a 506 that worked fine until the drag was tightened down, then it would bind while cranking as though a bad spot in gear(s), which it wasn't. turned out to be the brass sleeve had wear where hole in center of main gear rode, making it bind. traded out a few parts till I found problem. I'm sure you'll get it.

Alto Mare

It will be hard to pin point your problem from here, I touch many parts on these to make it work as I would like. Your problem might be related to the custom parts, or the Tiburon frame and spool...hard to say.
I run into some every now and then that give me problems.

I have parts to comp[are, so if you really had enough, put it in the mail and I see what's going on, maybe might even get lucky and get it working.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I just had enough last night. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet.
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 17, 2018, 12:03:02 AM
I just had enough last night. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet.

Atta boy Daron! If this is like many of my stumbling blocks...when the problem finally presents itself...you'll wonder how you missed it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

I'm not sure what you have in there, but I do see a stock Jack. Those should be stainless steel, the stock flexes too much, this might be related to the tighter tolerance with the pinion.
I do recommend the ss jack and yoke on these kits.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.