Green Machine

Started by Shark Hunter, July 16, 2018, 05:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I spent another hour tonight trying to figure out the Green Machine.
That is all I can spare with my regular shift at work in these hot temps.
It is like 120 in there. ::)
I thought I had it. Disassembled, compared bridges, looked at the pinion engagement and did a few tweaks.
Replaced the undergear with an original and removed one of the thin washers on the stack, thinking it was binding on the inside of the plate.
Flipped the yoke for a smoother engagement and put it all together with loose screws.
It felt good until I slowly started tightening everything up.
Then the same binding issues.
I left it with a chuckle.
I'm one step closer.
Working on reels is my favorite past time, other than actually fishing them.
I'll get it in due time.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Glad to see you're making progress, try stock bridge screws just for testing. If it gets better for you, you will need to reduce the head on the stainless steel screws a little .
The custom bridge works nicely with Penn plates, but at times it needs adjustments when used with aluminum plates.
I'm not saying the aluminum plates aren't good, tolerance is a little tighter on those, this is why you will need minor adjustments.

I have no doubts you'll get this working perfectly.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Army_of_One

I also had an issue with one of the stainless sleeves having teeth too big to turn on the bridge plate.  I had to use an older one with shorter teeth.  I could still get the sleeve on, with a third hand, but the teeth were catching on the dogs and it would remain stationary.
Another day in Paradise!

day0ne

I'm telling you that you are describing the exact problem I had. The first question I had is this bridge from the second batch Alan C produced? I'll bet a stock bridge will work.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Shark Hunter

I was thinking the same David. I purchased mine from Mystic Parts back in February of this year. I got the one that came with the sleeve.
I took the bridge off last night and compared it to stock. The holes look identical.
My next step is a stock bridge.
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

I keep clicking back to this thread hoping to see a completed all dark green t4WEX......the only one of its kind !!

.... I think Daron is messing with us and trying to keep us on the edge of our seat.

P.S Daron, try what Sal suggested first...the head on the CC bridge screws may be your issue. Try stock bridge screws

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

I took the night off last night. ;D
Swapped the screws for the original ones and the reel does turn, but it is still not up to par by my standards.
I think the problem lies in the compatibility of this spool and the double dog bridge.
It does not spin freely enough and the adjustment on the bearing has no effect.
I tested the spool with the plates on before I started.
Since T4 WEX spools don't grow on trees, I have to make this one work.
The donor has a really nice set of steel gears.
I'm going to put it all back with the stock bridge, stainless sleeve and dog with an insert kit, and save the hot rod parts for my next build.
A Narrow Californian with accuplates.
Life is Good!

day0ne

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 17, 2018, 11:31:39 PM
I was thinking the same David. I purchased mine from Mystic Parts back in February of this year. I got the one that came with the sleeve.
I took the bridge off last night and compared it to stock. The holes look identical.
My next step is a stock bridge.

The defective bridges are only off 3mm on one hole. Alan got them back, welded one  of the holes and redrilled. The welded hole or lack of it is the give away.
David

Shark Hunter

I might have a bad one then.
I'll have to take measurements with a Micrometer.
Life is Good!

day0ne

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 19, 2018, 05:15:07 AM
I might have a bad one then.
I'll have to take measurements with a Micrometer.

I had 4 bad ones.
David

Shark Hunter

Uh-oh.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: vilters on July 16, 2018, 11:07:08 PM
makes me feel less inept to know someone with as much experience/expertise runs into issues as well. I had a 506 that worked fine until the drag was tightened down, then it would bind while cranking as though a bad spot in gear(s), which it wasn't. turned out to be the brass sleeve had wear where hole in center of main gear rode, making it bind. traded out a few parts till I found problem. I'm sure you'll get it.
This reel has taken up a lot of my time. More than usual.
This is a one of a kind kit from Ted that didn't deserve this.
My good friend Robin sent me a Stainless Bridge, thinking that was the problem.
Thanks Robin, You are a True Friend.
Come to find out, The double dog bridge was defective. Incorrectly drilled, causing all the problems with the misalignment of the sleeve.
Lee is fixing the defective products that were sold. My Bridge is on the way to him.
I finished the Green Machine tonight with all stock internals.
It is 4:30 in the AM after another long day at work, but this reel is behind me after all the wasted time.
I did slightly scratch the inside of the spool on the bridge, It wasn't from the screws.
The Handle side bearing needed a shim.
It spins like a top now. ;)
Life is Good!

ReelFishingProblems

Daron,
That is an amazing reel, after all the work, it sure looks like it was worth it.
Nick

Army_of_One

Not a fan of green, but that is beautiful.  It looks like money!  I hate to hear about the bridge.  Out of spec parts, especially without knowing, can take the fun right out of it.  Now get to work on a big Senator to help the ego.  ;D
Another day in Paradise!

Swami805

Wow, beautiful reel, your patience paid off
Do what you can with that you have where you are