Heddon Hi-Speed 205-R

Started by festus, May 01, 2019, 04:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

The mailman delivered this 205-R this morning and I have it apart right now getting ready to clean and lube it.  I'll do a tutorial in a day or two. 

All these Heddons I've dealt with are built differently.  No consistency at all.

Sheridan, no hurry, but I can use a schematic for this if you have time.  Not really urgent, this one has a sliding bail trip assembly unique to anything I've seen.  If I decide to disassemble that part the schematic will help.  TIA.

mo65

Quote from: festus on May 01, 2019, 04:55:40 PM
All these Heddons I've dealt with are built differently.  No consistency at all.

Absolutely, I noticed that myself. I think I've even mentioned it here. Not only are they all different in design, but some designs are much better than others. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on May 01, 2019, 05:15:16 PM

Absolutely, I noticed that myself. I think I've even mentioned it here. Not only are they all different in design, but some designs are much better than others. 8)
You're right, Mo, and this seems to be one of the better ones. Not the best I've dealt with yet, so far the 233 is my favorite.

Looking over the link Midway Tommy sent me, the 283 and 284 have three ball bearings.  Both are big reels.  The 281 and 282 have two ball bearings.  The 281 is an ultralight, line capacity is 100 yds of 6 lb mono.  The 282 holds 200 yds of 8 lb mono. http://www.antiquefishinglures.com/1971heddon.htm

I suppose the best way to learn about these Heddons is to be patient and jump in there and buy them when the price is right. 

festus

Quote from: festus on May 01, 2019, 05:31:58 PM
Quote from: mo65 on May 01, 2019, 05:15:16 PM
All these Heddons I've dealt with are built differently.  No consistency at all.

You're right, Mo, and this seems to be one of the better ones. Not the best I've dealt with yet, so far the 233 is my favorite.

Looking over the link Midway Tommy sent me, the 283 and 284 have three ball bearings.  Both are big reels.  The 281 and 282 have two ball bearings.  The 281 is an ultralight, line capacity is 100 yds of 6 lb mono.  The 282 holds 200 yds of 8 lb mono. http://www.antiquefishinglures.com/1971heddon.htm

I suppose the best way to learn about these Heddons is to be patient and jump in there and buy them when the price is right.  
Correcting myself here, those reels don't have as many ball bearings as I said.  Misunderstood, it meant three race and two race ball bearings systems.  ::)

Swami805

I email it to you when I get home tonight if it's one there.
Most of the Heddon spinners are significantly different with many parts unique to each reel. Must have been a real headache for the parts department there
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Chester and Tommy...thanks for that link to the Antique Fishing Lures site. I've found that site before...but never dug deep enough to overturn those great old catalogs! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

That Heddon 1971 catalog link has more info in one spot about Heddon stuff from that era than any other I can recall looking at.

Frank

festus

Lucky 13, Bayou Boogie, Tiny Torpedo, Spooks, Hellbender, and whatever their metal sonar type metals are some of the first lures I remember. We had one of Heddon's closed face reels, same color theme as their old spinners, was probably the best spin caster I ever used until I got ahold of a Zebco 888.  Those little frog patterned Teeny Torpedos, probably about 1-1/2" long on an ultralight spinning combo are deadly on bream on the beds in ponds.  And a bass will smack one when you least expect it.

basenjib123

Quote from: festus on May 01, 2019, 10:29:12 PM
Lucky 13, Bayou Boogie, Tiny Torpedo, Spooks, Hellbender, and whatever their metal sonar type metals are some of the first lures I remember. We had one of Heddon's closed face reels, same color theme as their old spinners, was probably the best spin caster I ever used until I got ahold of a Zebco 888.  Those little frog patterned Teeny Torpedos, probably about 1-1/2" long on an ultralight spinning combo are deadly on bream on the beds in ponds.  And a bass will smack one when you least expect it.

Boy those lures bring back memories for me.  I don't think I knew what a Spinner Bait was until I was 25.  My favorite surface lure is still the Crazy Crawler.

festus

Forgot to finish with photos of the inside, here we go.

This reel has your typical Heddon crosswind block-mounted-to-the-axle-riding-a-stud-on-the-main-gear system.  I've seen this on other Japanese reels from that era, South Bend, Shakespeare, Diamond, Omori, Daiwa, etc.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Mitchell 302 is similar.

One screw removed makes it possible to remove the axle.

The bail trip assembly is different than anything I've seen yet.

Again, no stubborn snap ring to deal with removing the pinion bearing as with DAM Quicks and Royal Maroon Shakespeares.

Again, just a minimum of parts, but the reel is very smooth anyway.

The drag system is composed of one really thick (1/8" inch) fiber or leather washer and a metal washer, yet it works

That little coppery looking collar that rides on the stud on the main gear is referred to as a slide bushing.  I'm sure if you lose it, the reel will really run rough.

So far, I've collected three of Heddon's ultralight/light reels, 2 or 3 of their midweight reels, and one of their saltwater reels.  Probably enough for now, but still looking for a line roller nut for the Heddon 245 that Swami sent me.  The 245 must be rare, I've yet to see one on eBay or find a schematic. 

festus

Sheridan, I found one of those Heddon multi-sheet schematics on eBay.

Here's one for this reel.