Heddon 277

Started by xjchad, July 16, 2018, 10:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Inspired by Mo's recent Heddon posts, I started looking around to see what was out there to play around with.
I had two criteria that had to be met. 1) It had to be cheap.  2) It had be something I'd fish.
I don't have much of a budget to work with.
I don't have space for collectibles, so I try to only buy stuff I'm going to fish with or resell.
Seaching ebay for Heddon reels, I came across this 277 spinning reel that was advertised as a "surf" reel.  I've been needing a new light tackle surf spinning reel so I placed a super low bid and a few days later I owned a Heddon 277  :)

Here's a few pictures of it right out of the shipping package.

First thing I noticed was the lovely sound of the AR dog clicking away  ;D
It's a bit dirty, but pretty good shape overall and turns nice and smooth.

Plan is to do the standard clean/lube/assemble and then spool it up with some 14 lb. Cajun Red mono and catch some fish.
I'll post more pics and questions as I get into it.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

I'm anxious to see inside that reel, never been into one of their surf models. Schematics for these Heddons have eluded me so far, but around here we have Fred and Tommy, and they'll serve you better than any schematic! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Nice looking reel, nothing wrong with a Heddon, I've been looking for some myself.

Swami805

Nice Chad, I had one as a kid I got with Blue Chip Stamps.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Started disassembly today.
First question is about the drag setup.
3 stainless steel washers and then 3 different material friction washers?
Top one is teflon, but what about the other 2?
I'll get some dimensions, I'm planning to just replace them with carbon fiber ones.

foakes

Pretty decent old reels.

Here is a box of a few Heddons, plus some NOS rotors and sideplates.

Likely have another 7 or 8 stashed in crates out in storage.

Is this little 215 the smallest?  Or is there a smaller one?

If I could make sense of the numbering system for these — it might offer some clues.  Will check the old shop manuals to see if there are any on these Heddons.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on August 01, 2018, 05:58:38 PM
3 stainless steel washers and then 3 different material friction washers?
Top one is teflon, but what about the other 2?

That looks like the famous variety stack...one teflon...one brake lining...and one leather. Seen one sell for 4 thousand last week. :P
   Just kiddin' buddy! Get that camera a little closer, it's hard to tell whats going on there. Probably one of Dominick's resto jobs. ;D

festus

Quote from: foakes on August 01, 2018, 06:12:49 PM
Pretty decent old reels.

Here is a box of a few Heddons, plus some NOS rotors and sideplates.

Likely have another 7 or 8 stashed in crates out in storage.

Is this little 215 the smallest?  Or is there a smaller one?

If I could make sense of the numbering system for these — it might offer some clues.  Will check the old shop manuals to see if there are any on these Heddons.

Best,

Fred
That Heddon 215 appears to be similar in size to the 236 Sheridan sent me. Not quite ultrallight but on the light side.

happyhooker

Quote from: foakes on August 01, 2018, 06:12:49 PM
Pretty decent old reels.

Best,

Fred

The numbering system--well, not sure it's a system.  Lack of information on those old timers makes it hard. Anybody who can come up with more data would do a lot of folks a favor.

Frank

Swami805

I have a nib Heddon with the catalog. It has all the spinners they made that year with a schematic for each. Unfortunately it's on one giant sheet and each one is very small. If someone needs the schematic for one model pm me and I send a photo of it

xjchad

That's awesome Sheridan!
Does it have the 277?

Swami805

No it has a 270 then 280. The largest one is a 295.  Everything is  printed very small so it's hard to read, there's a list of spare spools for sale that come prefilled with line so I could get a pretty good idea of relative size by the numbers. The 234 has the least line capacity of 2lb at 200 yds. The smallest number is a 205 that holds 250yds of 6lb. The numbers aren't really sequencial to the size of the reel at least judging by capacity.
It lists 15 different model spinners, plus closed faced,fly, and baitcasting reels. 1 insert to cover all their reels, sure save a bunch on printing costs!

mo65

Cool schematic folder Sheridan! Who says Heddon wasn't an innovator? The whole round world uses micro print now...they led the way! I notice a wide variety of drag stacks, some multi disc, some single. Can't get a good enough look at the gears to really tell, but appears to be Mitchell styling there. I love learning about these overlooked reels. Little kids on Facebook know how to rebuild a Penn Spinfisher. This uncharted territory is very interesting. 8)

xjchad

A bit more disassembly.  Nice simple bullet-proof design.

Gfish

Like the structure a the gear box, looks nice and strong.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!