114H Special

Started by thorhammer, July 17, 2018, 02:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

For some reason, maybe it's considered a tweener, but the excellent 114H doesn't get much play around here. They were the by far the main grouper reel around NC when I grew and started fishing offshore on the headboats off the Crystal Coast, and it was a big day for me back in 1993 or so when I went in Raleigh Sports and Rec and found some store transfer Penn's without boxes that had been shelf displays...I got a 114HLW, a 114, a 113HL, and a 990 Magpower all for about $230. Up to that point, I had a used but serviced 113, a 65, and a 209 I think. Suddenly, i was in THE GAME...no more handles falling off and missing gimbals busting me in the groin with splintered fiberglass...I built two rods for the 6/0's and I was off! So, I have a warm spot for them...I already had a half dozen or so, but over the last couple of months a few more fell my way cheaply. I had a few parts laying around, and picked up a few from Ted. I asked the Boss to drill me a few blades in 5/16 for some 30VS spare knobs I had, and decided to bolt up a Special Special Senator. Only change internally is carbontex. Why? because I'll fish 80lb, and that's all this great reel needs. First time I've used lug blanks, I'm sold.

thorhammer

Daron, can you please right these when you wake up. Thanks!

Maxed Out

There is no wrong way to view these cool reels....up, down, sideways.....it's still a sweet reel, and also very capable. Glad you were able to rebuild it to its glory days

The no lug look sure makes it cleaner looking and also makes it a sleeper monster killer.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Great looking reel John!
I love the look of that knob on it and the lug blanks!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

I love these 114H specials too...what a reel. Great job on that one John! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

STRIPER LOU

Looking great John!

Those 6/0 are strong reels and sometimes underestimated.

Nice work as usual,  ..  Lou

broschro

El Pescador

The Great & Powerful Thorhammer!!!

Reelly???  A Tweener???  A Penn 114H is a Tweener???

Man, time for you to expand your fishing horizons from the Carolina Coastal Waters to Los Cabos.

There, most charter boats use a Penn 114H as the "Reel de rigueur!!!!!!!"

Reelly!   Time for you to travel with Dominick & me to ply the warm Pacific waters off Los Cabos.

Book it Danno!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

thorhammer

Hey, EP, I know full well what it will do...I've cranked in a sail on one like it was the bait...but we have jillions of upgrades / attention on Squidders / Surfmasters, Jiggys and 113H, then frames  / plates (IP) for 9/0 and lots of builds on the heavy metal 12/0 and up...we don't see much on the 114H, at least until the narrow kit came around, which is a great option for this reel with an SS stud and braid should you choose.  I know you have one and think I recall Joe built a nice one, and Daron has some. I'd love to bag a Rooster ole skool with you and the Counselor!

thorhammer

Thanks for flipping the pics, btw! I know the heat aint fun....

Gfish

Yup. I got mine in the late 80's. My first Penn and I hada put some time in to figure out terminology: 6/0, 114HL, Senator, Special senator, Special senator II. The manual just wasn't organized for the novice. Mine's a 114HL Special Senator II. The only things I added were ss double dogs with a ss gear sleeve. I changed the ht's once since I had it. I think it's strong enough...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

54bullseye

John Taylor

Swami805

I used a 114H with the really wide newell kit on it for trolling with 100lb mono for years. Caught a ton of albacore on it without a hiccup, bullet
proof reel. That's a beauty there
Do what you can with that you have where you are

gstours

I could not agree more.  The 54 bullsiee shows how it's done ✅.  A great midsize reel at a bargain w a few upgrades thanks to this site.....🏋️‍♀️💅💋