Acetone/ATF penetrating fluid on Gold Penn anodization

Started by Whit, July 17, 2018, 09:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Gents:

I have an old Penn 50 right sideplate, where the middle screw holding the quadrant ring has shorn off.  This is the smallest of the three screws that holds the quadrant ring in place.  Anyway, I'm thinking it is a good candidate for a soak in some of that DIY 50/50 blend of ATF and acetone. 

Question: Is this stuff going to bleach the anodizing?  Sure hate to fix one problem only to get myself another bigger one.

Thanks in advance!

Tightlines667

No, it won't.  Don't use purple power or one of those strong cleaners, or a strong acid though.  These screws often shear off.  I have found you can sometimes cut a slot in the portion sticking through the inside side plate with a dremel and screw it out.  Another approach is to drill a tiny hole in part of the screw and use a very small tap to grab the screw and screw it through like a screw extractor.  Or drill it out and punch the pieces out, or use the tap to clean up the threads.  Just becareful not to damage the few threads in the thin aluminum.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

I got a blackie newell the other day that hadn't been opened since it was new. I thought the screws were welded in with corrosion. overnight with that 50/50 mix and came out like butter. That has to be tip of the year.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)