Gerber Magniplier initial impression

Started by kmstorm64, July 18, 2018, 04:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

On the way home from funeral out in Modesto CA, GF and I stopped at the Manteca Bass Pro Shop, I needed some terminal tackle and had about $400 in gift cards for BPS and Cabela's. Five years worth of Birthday and Christmas gift cards stacking up, and GF wanted some clothes. So we made a stop to burn up some cards. One item I really wanted but it hasn't hit the stores yet is the Gerber Magniplier rated for salt water.

A little background, I have carried a Gerber knife since the early 1980's I have never broken one, never had one fail, I like their feel. Same with their stainless multi-tool, I own several, one even set up for working with explosives which was handy to have when I was in Iraq. I used them when I work in yard equipment at Lowes and loved their big pliers as they were the first to come out with something that wasn't a pair of needle nose.  So I have a loyalty to them. So when they got in the fishing game I wanted a set of their pliers. I ride motorcycles, and the way the handle is set up feel natural to me in the hand. Having worked with tools for as long as I can remember, I have learned to bite the bullet the first time and buy quality tools, and not have to worry about them failing to go buy another. So that is my philosophy.

Cost was $69.99 plus tax.

Comes with a lanyard, and sheath. Feel, very comfortable, cuts line and braid, but anything new should, I don't crimp anything so I can't say if that is a good function or not.

Handles do not have some cheap plastic handle covers on them so you don't have to worry about them turning to goo. American made, in comparison the Bubba Tool is Chinese and are $10. The Gerber, if I am not mistaken is Warrantied for life in the US , and 25 years outside of the US. 

Hot-Forged Aluminum Handles
Plunge Lock
Exchangeable Jaw Tips w/ Outboard Fasteners
Exchangeable, Reversible Carbide Cutters
Tether Points + Split Ring
Nylon Sheath w/ Velcro +Coil Lanyard/Carabiner

At ICAST they introduced the Salt Water version, I haven't found it on online yet.
http://gerberfishing.com/#magniplier

I will post a follow up when I get a chance to use them a few times.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!