Penn International 130S

Started by TheReelShop, July 19, 2018, 01:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

So I came across an International 130-S. This is a 2 speed reel. Nothing new or fancy. The thing is that the faceplate is an old faceplate with the globe on it and it sys 130S.

Is this a rare find or common. I couldn't find it anywhere. On mystic parts they have an alternate plate which I do see throughout.

Here is a pic...

Any info about this?

FatTuna

I've rebuilt a few of those. I've seen them with the globe and with international II spacer bar. I don't think they are especially rare. I'm basing my comment on how many I've seen, not on research. I'm not a collector but I do live outside of Tuna Town and see a lot of big game reels.

I've seen some of the older 130s going for good money before but it's always the ones that are in mint condition with the box, etc. On the other hand, I've seen the 130H (in reasonably clean condition) selling ~$300. Sometimes a lot less if it's beat up. The 130ST is the model that people want to fish. The old ones are the reels people want to collect and they want them in really clean condition. Just my $0.02.

SoCalAngler

I don't think too rare but I have only seen them on 50S's. That is about the largest reel we use here on the left cost so I have never seen a 130S.

I know the 50S had a single speed and Cal Sheets 2 speeded those reels. I sold one 50S for a friend that Cal two speeded, even tried to sell it on this site. That reel had the globe just like yours but those pics are long gone after I sold the reel.

It should be pretty easy to see if Cal did the 2 speed conversion to that reel. Just take off the left side plate. All of the Cal conversions I have seen have a sticker inside the left side plate with the date of the 2 speed mod.

That may make it a little more collectible if Cal did the conversion and blue printing but will not bring too much to the table as far a price for that reel.

54bullseye

It's not a conversion the 130-S was there first 2 speed version of the 130. Not really rare but harder to find in mint condition !  I have a pretty decent collection of Internationals most NIB and I do have a really nice 130-S but I have been looking for years now for a new in box 130-S with no luck !!! Any body out there have one to sell even just the box ???  I am VERY interested !!!   John Taylor       PS   The 50s was a factory 2 speed as well but Cal's hot rodded them !!!

TheReelShop

Good info. Thanks guys

Your looking for a NIB 130-S like he one I have pictured?

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

54bullseye

Quote from: TheReelShop on July 20, 2018, 05:17:35 PM
Good info. Thanks guys

Your looking for a NIB 130-S like he one I have pictured?

Yeah I have been looking for a while. I have all the others NIB some doubles but not the 130-S.   John Taylor

FatTuna

Not trying to get into an argument but I was taught the S meant two speed. I never heard that before.

The way I was taught was:

S = two speed
H = high speed
T = tournament
W = wide

TheReelShop

Quote from: FatTuna on July 20, 2018, 11:54:36 PM
Not trying to get into an argument but I was taught the S meant two speed. I never heard that before.

The way I was taught was:

S = two speed
H = high speed
T = tournament
W = wide

That sounds right. The picture I have posted up is off a 2 speed 130

1badf350

To resurrect an ancient thread, these early logo S models seem few and far between. I first noticed one about 7 years ago and have seen maybe three of them. All were well used.
I finally got my hands on a clean one pictured here.
I believe the S model was introduced around 1990 but it was never pictured in the catalogs with the globe logo. The catalog pictures show a International II style logo
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

54bullseye

Nice reel Chris !! Minty shape. I will bet they used the older globe style bars and stamped them with the S as a parts clean up !!  Who knows ?   John Taylor

thorhammer

Penn Chronology

These stamped 130 S logos are uncatalogued, so I have to assume they are early release reels. The International II was released in the catalog in 1989. Can't be too many of the globe style logos. I have made and inquiry about the existence of these. Maybe they are reels that never should have left the factory, experimental models. The early model 130 was large and took up much space in an engineering storage cabinet, reels that should not have been sent out somehow escaped, one never knows. I bought this prototype off eBay. Never should have left the factory. If I get any more info aboout the Globe Logo 130 S, I will post it here.

Good to be here again.

alantani

and this is a single speed reel, correct?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

1badf350

-Chris