I Just Couldn't Leave It Alone

Started by mo65, July 21, 2018, 09:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

This reel was another one of those ones I posted on the "just as you found it" thread...but like so many times before...I just couldn't leave it as I found it. I had an experiment in mind, I wanted to try catfishing a plastic spool. I've read all the warnings, over and over, about how fragile they are. I've also noted that every cracked plastic spool I've seen here was a result of spooling mono too tight. I think most of the plastic spool's bad rep is just a result of fishermen not knowing how to properly handle them. At any rate, I'm going to fish one, and if it busts I'm out 10 bucks, pfft! :D

This first pic shows the reel as I found it, a cool retro look. The stock 99 with it's 6-screw stand is a solid reel. Add that larger #24-66 handle and the Newell bars and you have an early hot rod, which is more than likely what this reel was.

Since I'd be fishin' this thing, I wanted to change the handle. Hmm...first stumbling block. The gear sleeve was hit. The photo below shows a NOS sleeve beside the trashed one.

The new gear sleeve's fit was a little loose on the bridge, so I added a shim under it.

We touched on replacement stars in another thread recently, so I figured I'd take a few pics of the process since I'd be doing it here. This pic shows the original star(#10-60) on top of the replacement star(#10-66). Since the replacement is thicker, I had to shave a bit off the spacer sleeve, which is pictured beside a stock spacer.

That's about all we need to do under the hood on this reel. The stock gearing and drags should be more than enough to bust a plastic spool...right? By the way, that brass main is fantastically smooth.

This handle and star are my personal favorites of the stock Penn parts. With the convertible handle you always have half of it sticking out and blocking the star. Even the stock counterbalanced handles seem to get in the way at times too. This handle allows easy access to the star. Oh...and it looks pretty good too...;D

Now...the key to not imploding this spool before it even gets wet...I'm putting some cheap braid on for backing to absorb the mono's squeeze.

All spooled up with 30lb. Trilene Big Game, I took it out back for a few ceremonious casts. Dang! It casts fantastic! Plastic spools are light like aluminum spools...less inertia equals better control. I'll update results later. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

Kick it up a few notches Bro! NICE ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

Super nice. I always zoom in and see how clean your reels are :D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

festus

Good job, it should cast MUCH better with the plastic spool.

gstours

Mr. Moe.   I'm thinking maybe you will be 👌 and good with the plastic spool especially for casting if you stay under 30 pounds Line.🎣.  Light fish, lite line,  match the hatch.😏

mo65

Just got back from my brother's place...we braved the elements for a few days and caught some nice medium size catfish. This was the maiden voyage for several new combos, my 99 included. It performed great, here's a video of a catch. 8)

JoseCuervo

Nice, I love your videos, short and sweet. :)

Tiddlerbasher

David Hall

And that is how it's done.  Show us one of them bigguns caught on that reel and I think you'll have us convinced.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Donnyboat

Nice story Mo, great photos, thanks for posting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

grekim

Hey Mo...coincidentally I tried a plastic spool in my Long Beach 60 over the weekend.   I put a maybe 75 yards of braid on first to act as a cushion for the mono on top.  I have been using this reel with a chrome spool up until this point and had my fair share of tangles.  The plastic gave a sense of control for sure.  I could be wrong, but I think I can cast farther with the metal.  And I think if I get used to plastic and try to go back, it will be a messy experience.  One thing though is that the plastic spool is not going to corrode, of course, so clean up for me is less involved.
Educating fish on every trip

mo65

Quote from: grekim on September 26, 2018, 10:41:52 AM
  I have been using this reel with a chrome spool up until this point and had my fair share of tangles.  The plastic gave a sense of control for sure.  I could be wrong, but I think I can cast farther with the metal. 

Yes grekim, the chrome spool will get more distance if you have the skill to control it. My fishing doesn't require that kind of distance, so there is no need to have that massive bird's nest looming over me. You may want to try an aluminum spool on your reel. Aluminum will give great distance, control, and strength. 8)