Main Menu

Mead

Started by Keta, July 23, 2018, 01:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: Keta on July 24, 2018, 02:02:36 PM
I prefer unpasteurized milk too, even knowing the risks.
My last public health class was over 30 years ago, and I've managed to eat sushi since. Salmonella and E. coli need to be added to your list of Listeria. I don't do raw milk or shellfish anymore. Don't do pasteurized milk very much, never much cared for it. Milkshakes are a different story.... :)
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Keta

"Chickenosis" is E.coli and salmonella to us hillbillies.  I have been exposed to both since I was a toddler.  When my kids were still living at home we occasionally got into sheep manure fights.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

The loss of a solid immune system is the downfall of modern humanity. Do you know how long polio was in the human blood stream? Centuries. When did it start becoming a problem? Urbanization. Reason? Reduced strength of immune systems.

Please understand; I acknowledge, and am thrilled with the reality, that modern cleanliness standards and immunizations have saved millions of lives and allowed us many of the modern conveniences we enjoy today. It just would have been nice to not demolish our immune systems in our process.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Ya gotta go play in the dirt. Beer, and likely mead, came about as a self-preserving way to make something you safely drink several hundred years before pasteurization because water was suspect. The low water activity of honey for a gazillion years was self-preserving...

sdlehr

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 24, 2018, 05:33:49 PM
The loss of a solid immune system is the downfall of modern humanity. Do you know how long polio was in the human blood stream? Centuries. When did it start becoming a problem? Urbanization. Reason? Reduced strength of immune systems.
Ron
This is a partial truth. Polio crippled and paralyzed people centuries ago. Polio is usually transmitted through fecal-contaminated water. The first major documented polio outbreak in the United States occurred in Vermont in 1894; 18 deaths and 132 cases of permanent paralysis were reported. In 1894 people still played in dirt. It was the concentration of people into large cities and inadequate sewage treatment that allowed this to happen. When you lived on the farm you didn't get polio because no one upstream had polio.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on July 24, 2018, 02:02:36 PM
I prefer unpasteurized milk too, even knowing the risks.  I actually hate pasteurized and homogenized milk and rarely drink it.  Most likely I have been exposed to listeria and have some immunity to it and I know I've been exposed to "chickenosis" and other nasty bacteria when dealing with our sheep and poultry.

Keta: I agree with you about the Milk as I worked on a dairy farm as a teenager. As far as the Mead, if I were a bit closer to you I would help you test it. ;) ;D ;D ;D.............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."