Penn 9/0 upgrades

Started by Ryan, July 23, 2018, 04:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

I have a penn 9/0 I purchased new in 2008. It's a ball bearing made in USA reel. I want to increase the drag on this reel and do some other upgrades as well. I haven't taken the reel apart yet so I'm not sure what the material of the internals are. I've read some of the posts on this topic so from what I'm understanding is I would need to go to a stainless sleave, double dog it, and change the frame (Cortez). I've looked at Cortez website and found the sleave, frame, and dogs. I've also looked at Mystic Reel parts as well for some of the items. . I haven't ordered anything yet. Not sure if the mentioned above parts would suffice or if there is anything else y'all would recommend. I like to catch big AJ's and the higher drag numbers would help me turn me away from the rigs. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

thorhammer

You are on  the right track. the Cortex upgrades are on point. Suggest a power handle to properly use those goodies; Alan Tani's if he has any at the moment. Past that, maybe a drag kit from Bryan Young and you will beast most fish in the ocean; the reel should easily fish 100-130 braid at that point.

Sal did his magic on one a while back and I want to say he got smooth 75 lbs of drag from it....

John 

RowdyW

I would go with the insert drag kit from Adam (Three Se7ens). I think that is the one Sal tested. Adam also has a nice ss offset handle for that reel.       Rudy

SoCalAngler

Add up the cost for everything your going to do to that reel before you buy. In the long run it may be cheaper to buy a newer model reel with the higher tech stuff already in it.

Not sure of the size of fish you will use the reel for and depth you fish but here in So Cal we have yellowtail (their in the AJ family) and I have also caught AJ's in the Sea of Cortez. For me I like a smaller 2 speed reel which can handle 40-50 lb test because that is heaviest test topshot I will use on those fish here.

Up grading a 9/0 may be cool and all but the comfort of fishing a smaller reel all day is what I like. Heck, you may not even need a two speed reel.

Caught the YT's on a single speed with 30 lb test.

handi2

That is very true. It gets expensive quick.

Ive built more 9/0's with all the goodies than I can remember. They always come out great with more drag that you could ever use. The drag insert is the only way to go.

I have charter boats using them for huge Grouper.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Army_of_One

You're not going to like me, but a stock highspeed 4/0 will pull in AJs.  ;D  I caught the smaller one (36") with a 113H and the largest one pictured was caught on the same reel right after me.

I fully support you upgrading your 9/0 though.  I have thrown money at one for sharking and I love it.  Just realize that you will spend more than you should.

Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Yes,
There are pros and cons to doing this. Pro being, you have a hot rod reel that was done by yourself.
Cons, $400 in parts. I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)
Life is Good!

Ryan

I appreciate all the input guys. I don't solely use the reel for big AJ's, I use it for tuna as well and would like to get back into shark fishing. Doing the upgrades is really just something that I found interesting and would like to do. I have a question about double dogging it, I see where I can buy the dogs and springs, but what are y'all using for the pivot point? Is it a dowel pin or a stud? I appreciate all the help and input.

Ryan

Also, as far as the handle goes, I was looking at the bigger handles Alan offers. Does anyone suggest changing the arm to a longer one or just simply change the handle and keep stock arm?
Thanks

thorhammer

Longer arm. No point in beefing all the other stuff up if you can't apply more torque.

Alto Mare

I've customized a bunch of these and some rather have the same length as stock, it just works out better for them :-\.
Adam' handles are perfect to upgrade with, they're approximately 1/2" longer than stock. The really long ones don't do too good.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Ryan on July 24, 2018, 02:07:24 PM
I appreciate all the input guys. I don't solely use the reel for big AJ's, I use it for tuna as well and would like to get back into shark fishing. Doing the upgrades is really just something that I found interesting and would like to do. I have a question about double dogging it, I see where I can buy the dogs and springs, but what are y'all using for the pivot point? Is it a dowel pin or a stud? I appreciate all the help and input.

The dogs ride on the lower bridge screws.
They are reversed in this pic checking the fitment.
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Ryan on July 24, 2018, 02:07:24 PM

You're going to have to dremel out some of the sideplate for the second dog.  I've got a 114H for display.  It's the same deal, but you need a silver sharpie for the black sideplates.

Put the gear and sleeve in.  Then place the dog and bridge screw in the left side as pictured.

To make your mark, you need the tip of the tooth for the outer line and the recess for the bottom line.  I like to lift the sleeve up to engage the dog.

Mark it, pull it apart and you should have a "mouse."

Now comes the part that is terrifying.  You need to cut the area all the way to the line.  It might seem like a lot, but you have to run a spring in there as well.  You also need to cut a "tail" for the "mouse" to place the back of the spring in.

Shoot me your address and I can send you a busted 114H plate to practice on.  It will be easier on the 9/0 as you have more space to work with.
Another day in Paradise!

Alto Mare

Army-of-one, you might want to check the engagement of the dogs on that gear sleeve.
One came through my hands a couple of weeks ago and noticed the tip of the dogs were only engaging 50%.
I had to knock down the high spot between the teeth

and it it is after it has been filed down

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Ryan you can save some money by finding a stock Penn steel main gear if the reel doesn't have one. They will work as well as any other.

You can also get by with one SS anti reverse dog. Millions of reels get by with one without failing. 2 is better but not necessary.

The stock handle lenght is fine. It just needs a new, better grip, with an offset.

1- SS Gear Sleeve
1- Steel main gear.
1- Motive Drag Insert
1- Handle Grip

That's all you need to get started and catch big fish.

The commercial and charter fishing guys will lock down a reel with a hammer or pliers and leave them like this. They dont break anything doing this. A stock reel is mighty tough. The 6/0 and 9/0 reels ive seen like this still have good working gears. A 4/0 gear set would be stripped.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL