Reel Repair Time

Started by RamseyReelRepair, July 25, 2018, 01:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamseyReelRepair

Hi so something that I've been curious about for some time is how long it takes most to breakdown, clean and lube a reel. I know the type and condition are a factor but just wanted to get some of your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Reel 224

The basic penn takes about 30minuts for me to service, without repairing or replacing parts. Spinning reels of witch I'm no expert take about the same time to service....more complected reels 45-60min. depends. I know I had a repair on a Pfuger that took two days.

Other more experienced guys here would be better at that question then I am.......................Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gfish

Pretty much what Joe said, cept with me I always find somethin I want to improve or change, makin it take a couple of hours.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RamseyReelRepair

Thanks for replies guys. It's talking me around 60 to 90 minutes if the reel has been maintained otherwise it depends how bad it is and the parts that need replaced.

mike1010

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 25, 2018, 02:24:45 AM
The basic penn takes about 30minuts for me to service, without repairing or replacing parts. Spinning reels of witch I'm no expert take about the same time to service....more complected reels 45-60min. depends. I know I had a repair on a Pfuger that took two days.

Other more experienced guys here would be better at that question then I am.......................Joe   

For me, for the classic small Penns, 30+N, because it takes me an arbitrary number of tries to get the dog and spring in place.

STRIPER LOU

About an hour for 4/0 sized reels average. Although they may go into the Ultrasonic, I don't charge for that time but may add a dollar or two for cleaning supplies.

Fred O was the gentleman who schooled me on the ultrasonic and it seems to be one of the better ways to clean a reel.

I'll bet Alan knocks them out of the park in no time flat!! ;D

......................Lou

alantani

for me, it's supposed to be 20 to 40 minutes for a star drag reel and 40 to 60 minutes for a lever drag reel.  i can knock out a plain brand new single speed avet in 25 minutes, then spend 2-3 hours trying to hobble together a 4/0 senator from parts laying around on the floor.  way too many variables.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

Quote from: alantani on July 25, 2018, 03:26:43 PM
for me, it's supposed to be 20 to 40 minutes for a star drag reel and 40 to 60 minutes for a lever drag reel.  i can knock out a plain brand new single speed avet in 25 minutes, then spend 2-3 hours trying to hobble together a 4/0 senator from parts laying around on the floor.  way too many variables.   ;D

I would agree, but waited for you to say that.....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Penn

The average Tech here does about 10 a day, but we strip all reels down completely even if they don't need it, clean all the parts, re-assemble and re grease/oil.  They also need to complete paperwork and travel a good amount to pull parts.  Some reels require a bit more time such as Internationals as we try and get the drag in an acceptable range or need to drill out and re-tap 8 side plate screws  :'(  

tony

thorhammer

Ahhhhhhhh.....the parts bins at Penn...Tony about had to get a cattle prod to keep our gang moving on through there, lol...

John

Penn

Quote from: thorhammer on July 25, 2018, 05:29:28 PM
Ahhhhhhhh.....the parts bins at Penn...Tony about had to get a cattle prod to keep our gang moving on through there, lol...

John

You guys were the last group tour we had here, and will be the last.... unfortunately.  It was a pleasure showing such a great group of PENN Fanatics around the building.

tony

thorhammer

We certainly enjoyed it! You were a very gracious guide!

handi2

An example would be the all time great reel. The Penn 113H.

It takes me about one hour to completely disassemble, clean, oil and grease, and reassemble. This is greasing under the rings and all hardware. Delrin washers and Carbontex drag washers. Bearings shimmed if needed. Gear sleeve shimmed if needed.

For spinning reels Shimano's are the fastest and easiest. Its the way they are built.

Penn spinning reels take twice as long as a Shimano of similar size. Except for the Stella reels.

A reel is not finished until I am satisfied. Spinning reels may come back apart a few times to get it right.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

I would be really quick if I only had to take them apart and put them back together once each time they're cleaned.  Like that might happen.
-steve

RamseyReelRepair

I think that's what slows me down too. I'm always taking them apart several times before I'm happy.