Crimp - line, wires

Started by Gobi King, July 27, 2018, 03:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I need  you help guys, dos, don'ts, best practices, what do you use for crimping:

1. Mono line for fishing: How much bigger should be crimps be? aluminum? copper? do I need double barrel crimps?

2. Wire for fishing: same questions as above.

3. electrical wire from 1/0 to 6 Awg: tools for this, I bought a harborfright bigazz crimper for this, not sure the sizes this can accommodate. Do I put some on the wire to prevent corrosion?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

1badf350

Crimps are usually sized. So buy whatever crimps correspnd to the pound test or line diameter you are using. I use regular double barrel crimps for my 80lb drum rigs. Thats the only size I have experience crimping. Aluminum is nice, a bit softer but more expensive.

The crimps ive seen for stranded wire are single barrel and sized as well. For hard solid wire I do a haywire twist instead of crimp.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Shark Hunter

The wire for fishing is stainless. I use American Fishing wire.
There are no crimps for the wire, only haywire twists.
As far as Crimping. I only do that on Big Shark Leaders and use a hand held $20 Crimper.
I also only use copper crimps in 1.6 and 2.2 and double crimp everything.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21781.0
Life is Good!

MarkT

I use single crimps for wire Wahoo leaders and doubles for heavy tuna leaders sized to the diameter of the line.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Singles for wire doubles for mono and the goldilocks method. Too loose they slip,too tight and you pinch the line creating a weak spot. If you know someone with a bench mounted crimper those are pretty consistent, the hand held ones take some practice to get them perfect every time. Chafe tube in the loop isn't a bad idea either
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gobi King

I have this one from Berkley:

and this one from harborfright

https://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

The hb one does 14 awg to 0.

14 awg has a diameter of 0.06410 inches/1.6 mm.

50 lb mono has a diameter of .7 mm

Reading through the responses now :-)
Fichigan

day0ne

There is a lot of good info here:

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html

Read the section on "point to cup" crimpers like the Berkley ones you have. BTW, I just bought an adequate set of crimpers from amazon for $13. Not great but adequate.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Shark Hunter

There are other options besides crimping.
The Haywire twist is proven and no need for crimping.
It is a little hard on the hands, but it yields results that no toothy critter can chew through.
The objective is that they can't get a bite on it. It slides between their teeth.
I have AFW from #12 to #22. It is good stuff if you are wiling to work it.
You have to grab it with all your hand strength to make it work.
Your fingers will be sore for a day after making four or five of these rigs.
This is #12 rated at 174 lbs. #22 is rated at 500.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Haywire twists are good for solid wire, but I cant stand the stuff.  Too much work for one (potential) fish and its trashed.  Ive been using titanium leaders (knot 2 kinky) here lately, and you either have to crimp it, or use certain knots.  It has some stretch, and doesnt kink like solid wire.  A good rig can last many trips. 

Shark Hunter

As long as it lands the fish. I'm ok with making another one. I kind of enjoy it and it is cheap.
I only paid $12 for three 30' coils.
I can make another one right on the beach with no crimps or tools.
I'm trying to streamline my tackle for short trips.
I'm really looking forward to grabbing my rod, sand spike and chair with a small bag and that's it.
Bait will be soaking in 10 minutes. If a storm pops up, I can get out as quick as I came. ;)
Life is Good!

Fishead

1- crimps are sized for the diameter of the mono. Aluminum are good for mono. Copper works but not necessary.

2- haywire twist for single strand wire. With a little practice you can do them properly and quickly. Learn to twist & break the tag end, if you cut it, it will return the favor at some point. That end is like a razor if you cut it and happen to run it across your skin.

3- there connectors that have sealant in them, heat them and they shrink around the crimp and the sealant oozes out forming waterproof seal. The other option is liquid electrical tape. That works good when you can't use the heat shrink connectors.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Gobi King

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 31, 2018, 06:19:35 AM
There are other options besides crimping.
The Haywire twist is proven and no need for crimping.
It is a little hard on the hands, but it yields results that no toothy critter can chew through.
The objective is that they can't get a bite on it. It slides between their teeth.
I have AFW from #12 to #22. It is good stuff if you are wiling to work it.
You have to grab it with all your hand strength to make it work.
Your fingers will be sore for a day after making four or five of these rigs.
This is #12 rated at 174 lbs. #22 is rated at 500.

Haywire - yeap, I am pretty familiar with it from my fence work for chicken coop and rebar work for cement from my younger days hanging with my grandpa.

#12 wire will be good for me, I have  a stash (clearance terminal tackle stuff I picked up) of wires I need to sort through.

Questions:
1. Can I do haywire with a braided metal wire? If yes, Should I tape these with electrical tape to prevent the edge from snagging other parts of the line?
2. Will the wire affect the action of a bait being trolled? can I use them with live bait?
Fichigan

Gobi King

crimps - so I have to match the mono/wire dia to the crimp dia - here is my confusion, how much dead space can I get away with? meaning, can I use a 2mm dia crimp on a .7 mm dia mono?

Looks like i have to stick to a mono/wire thickness for leader to avoid having to buy every size out there.

50 lb mono - for salmon leaders, meat rigs

80 lb mono - for general muskie

#12 wire for leader and tandem rigs other salt water rigs

Good info on point to cup and cup to cup crimper,
The hb is a cup to cup crimper :-)
Fichigan

RowdyW

#1 no   #2 not much, & yes    80# or less mono can be secured with a knot. Usually anything larger needs to be crimped. Some guys tie 100# or larger mono but it is difficult.

day0ne

Quote from: Gobi King on August 01, 2018, 02:34:55 PM
Good info on point to cup and cup to cup crimper,
The hb is a cup to cup crimper :-)

The Harbor freight crimper is for electrical wires, not mono. It will probably crush the mono. No need for a hydraulic crimper. Crimping too hard is just as bad as not crimping enough.

#12 single strand leader is 175 - 180 lb leader, which is rather large for a lot of fishing. Also, don't confuse it with 12 awg, which is different. Probably overkill and very visible. Tes, you need different sizes of leaders, for different types of fishing. Wire is only needed for toothy fish and not always then. Use as small as you can. BTW, a 2.0mm sleeve is for 300 pound mono. Also, don't use aluminum sleeves on stainless wire, as it will cause electrolysis and corrode away quickly.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter