Greenie color question

Started by 1badf350, July 27, 2018, 06:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Can you guys tell me about the different greenie colors? I see some are a deep green, then others are more of a light blue green. Are these all of the same era?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

George6308

700's were a dark green called hunter green, 706, 707, 710, 712, 713, 711,  714, & 716 came in a lighter green called Penn reel green (very close to John Deere green), 704 & 705 were a blue-green metalic while the 720 came in blue and the 722 came in another shade of metalic blue- green. There are brown 720's & 722's that came out between the blue/blue-green 720 & 722 before everything was painted black for the Z series.
All the green colored reels stayed the same from the time of their introduction in the 60's until the black Z series in the early 70's.

mo65

Great walk through George. There are collectors on the Facebook vintage Penn group who have black "greenies"...they look like a Z series reel but have the greenie medallion. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

George6308

Yep forgot about the rare black 710 & 712's in both glossy and flat black. Only a few got out of the plant.

1badf350

Thanks!! Boy thats a lot to keep track of!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

... and Fred's brown one.  Then there's all the re-paints because the factory paint was so prone to chipping and scuffing.
-steve