Penn 80 SW

Started by handi2, July 28, 2018, 02:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Quote from: handi2 on August 02, 2018, 07:25:51 PM
One shim on the outer drag plate did the trick. Easy and and done. When drag was applied the outer drag plate was rubbing on the nuts that secure the gear adjustment screws. Shimmed on top of the left side plate bearing.

Thank you all,

Keith

Rubbing on the dog posts.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Whit

+1 on the locating pins.  I seen them mashed into various stages of disulility.  Sometimes a visual check will tell you the pins are good, but then replacing them makes all the difference.

alantani

here's that shim washer that i was talking about earlier.  just finished two of these and they did not have or need the washer.  now this third one has a washer,  it provides a little space between the drag pressure plate and the left side plate bearing.  maybe there were differences between some of the different runs of side plates......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Shimming in this location is also used to push the outter drag disc away from the cooling shield when the reel is in freespool and the belleville stack height is too small.  A mark from the spoolshaft contacting the tailplate when in full, or rub marks on the outter drag disc (from cooling shield, dog posts, or screws) is a telltale sign it is needed.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

That's all it took. I have seen that shim many times on the larger reels. I guess my memory is not working right.

Or the fact that i just quit smoking and my mind ain't right.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

This was great information plus a solid example of "Alan Tani worldwide Ohana teamwork" in action!

Impressive job, everyone!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.