What year do you think this 3/0 is?

Started by 1badf350, July 29, 2018, 03:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Guys I got this 3/0 a while back. Just now got around to posting it. Can you help me determine year of manufacture? Thanks
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Cool! No part #'s, screw on the E. Lever, smooth counter weight, that style a lettering, the knob type. I'm interested to know, but I'd guess late 30's.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

1badf350

-Chris

mo65

The 3/0 was introduced in '42...and since there's no numbers on the parts that puts your 3/0 between '42 and '50. That handle is one you'll see a lot on Long Beaches and Sea Gates from that era...not sure about it. I seem to want to think the correct handle for that reel would have a coin edge. Mike would know...maybe he'll see this. Great reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

The 3/0 was designed with unique parts, some that didn't interchange with any other reel. The spool and seat are unique to just the black 3/0. Drilled arbor changed to a post in 1941/42.....my guess is this 3/0 is 1942 or 1946....I'm leaning more towards 1942 and even finding a well used pre 1950 3/0 is a tall order.....unless your name happens to be Chris  ;)  ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

-Chris

Cuttyhunker

Chris,
I got a 49 that had the same style smooth counterweight, and was advised that it was an in between time from the coin edge and laminated coin weights.
Doomed from childhood

AC49

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on October 08, 2019, 05:10:36 PM
Chris,
I got a 49 that had the same style smooth counterweight, and was advised that it was an in between time from the coin edge and laminated coin weights.

Cuttyhunker it would be an honour to see your smooth counterweight ... please post us a picture  ;D

Regards
AC49

Cuttyhunker

Here she is, it just came off the boat a few days ago, as it's about time for me to abandon soon to be snowy New England for sunny Florida.  I set up 3 49's last fall with wire, fresh carbontex 3 stacks, and the Boss's suggestion of a 113 carbontex under the gear.  Performed beautifully all season, and with the fast retrieve very efficient.  The most fun was the "What the Hell's" from younger guys around the marina when the 49's came out of the cabin, the knuckle buster lever was a thing of wonderment.  Explained to them the age of the reel with the no part numbers, and how that after 70 years I reckoned this one was just about broken in, and that I expected it be worn out in maybe another 70 or so.  
Doomed from childhood

AC49

Thanks Cuttyhunker that's a beauty !!

Regards
AC49

Crow

It IS a nice one !  Don't think I've seen that style of handle, either :-\>
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Cuttyhunker

I posted about the handle last fall and I think it was Max that talked about the changeover thing.
Fish On,
Bob
Doomed from childhood