Ordering carbontex based on existing drag sizes and exact measurements...

Started by jplee3, July 31, 2018, 01:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplee3

Hey guys,

Was curious if there's a big difference ordering carbontex drag washers to replace existing felt washers and going off estimates rather than *exact* measurements. I have an Okuma Avenger av25b and was interested in ordered a set but looks like I'll need to measure them out myself. The measurements I have are [roughly because I don't have a caliper]:

bottom 21mm OD x 7mm ID
middle 20.5 mm OD x 6mm ID
top 20.5mm OD x 6mm ID

Thickness is all around 1mm for them. Some appear slightly thicker.

Will getting *any* sized drag washers close enough to fit in the stack be OK or will it make a huge difference and impact/affect the overall drag pressure, etc?

RowdyW

If you are getting into your reels then it is time to get a least an inexpensive caliper & measure correctly.     Rudy

jplee3

Quote from: RowdyW on July 31, 2018, 01:10:58 AM
If you are getting into your reels then it is time to get a least an inexpensive caliper & measure correctly.     Rudy

I will. But besides that, if the drag washer measurements aren't exactly the same as those of the original felt washers, and if they fit into the drag stack, is there going to be a huge or notable difference in terms of the drag output?

Swami805

I might be wrong but I'd think it would be about the same percentage as lost surface area of material for drag. You might need shims if they''re thinner
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

I will. But besides that, if the drag washer measurements aren't exactly the same as those of the original felt washers, and if they fit into the drag stack, is there going to be a huge or notable difference in terms of the drag output?
[/quote]If the total height of the drag stack is close (.005-.010") it should be ok. If the stack height is to high you will not be able to get the snap ring back on or it is on to tight on the stack. Again a caliper makes it easy to measure the total height of the stack to compare. CF drags don't neccesserly give you more or less drag but make the drag start up & running drag smoother. Drag grease on CF makes them even smoother.

oc1

You can ream out the I.D. with a rat-tail file or remove O.D. with a sander.  It is more important for the I.D. to be just right.  A slightly small O.D. won't hurt too much.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Standard washer thickness for every Okuma spinner is 1mm. All of the spool washers will be the same size. Under spool washers (on dual drag models) are a different kettle of fish.
Choose a precut washer of the correct outside diameter +0mm -1mm (all Okuma reels are metric). If the inside diamter is too small ream it, as suggeted by Steve. If it's too big don't worry - the innermost surface of a drag washer contributes didly squatt to the overall performance. Grease everything, Cals, Shimano or any other Teflon based grease. If you don't get enough drag you need a bigger reel ;)
Most small spinners produce way more drag than you will ever use - the average drag (3 stack) for a 25 size Okuma spinner is 6kg (over 12lb).
Hope that clarifies things :)